HELP! Pool Builder is refusing to install RPZ Valve required by code in our city.

smos72781

Mar 21, 2020
Corpus Christi, Texas
HELP! Pool Builder is refusing to install RPZ Valve required by code in our city.

Just as our pool was near completion we had a plumber give us a quote for a water softener for the house. When we saw the plumbing for our pool with autofill connected into the main waterline he let us know that the connection was not within local code. He explained that an RPZ valve is required. We let the pool builder know and they just installed a simple check valve, but this is still not within code. Now the pool builder is ignoring us completely and not responding at all. We are not sure what we are supposed to do at this point. Should we contact the city? Lawyer? BBB? I'm pretty sure this means they are installing every pool they do in town outside of code like this, and they were doing 15 other pools at the same time as ours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

smos72781

Mar 21, 2020
Corpus Christi, Texas
I actually just contacted the city inspector. I'm not sure if they lied on the permit about an autofill being present or just hoped no one would notice, but the inspector said they should know its required by state law to have an RPZ valve and that he was going to contact the pool builder directly.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Is the pool otherwise complete?

Have you paid the entire price already?

Maybe just have the plumber do it right and send the bill to the builder.

How long has the builder been out of contact?