Help please! Chlorine is gone!

gobeavers88

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
Missouri City, TX
I thought I could do this, but this morning I had 0 chlorine-nada, zip, none! Pool is 2 months old-I just took over from the pool guy to try the BBB method. I did the overnight chlorine loss 2 nights ago and only lost 0.5. Here are my numbers from yesterday morning (6/1):
FC: 2.5
CC: 0
TC: 2.5
pH: 7.8
T/A: 140
CH: 160
CYA: 60

So, I added 1 gallon of Clorox bleach (6%) directly to the pool water. I turned the auto chlorinator to 0 (there were 3 small pucks left in there). A couple hours later I added 15 lb. of Hardness Plus to increase the CH. I retested the chlorine in the afternoon and it was at 6. I thought things were looking ok till this morning.

My numbers today: only change was 0 chlorine and CH was 200. I retested the CYA and I think it's 60, although at 70 I could just barely see the black dot so maybe it's higher.

Could the Hardness Plus have wiped out my chlorine? This happened a few weeks ago after heavy rain (wiped out chlorine levels) but no rain last night-just the boys playing in the spa and swimming.

I added about 2.5 gallons of bleach this morning. What else should I do?

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
Do an overnight test tonight.

6% clorox comes in 96 oz and 182 oz. Did you add one small jug or one large?

You want to use a target of 8 for now, and try to keep your FC above 5 at all times. This means testing in the evening and adding bleach to reach your target. Targeting 8 or 9 in the evening should keep you above 5 by the next evening.

Do an overnight test tonight, post back if you lose more than 1ppm.
Overnight FC Loss Test

gobeavers88

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
Missouri City, TX
Will do. I added about 1 1/2 of the large (182oz.) jugs. My FC is now at 6 (10 am). I'll add some more to bring it up to 8 and get back to you tomorrow. It looks like there might be rain tonight. Will that affect the overnight test?

PaulR

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Cupertino, CA
Depends on how much. Normal amounts of rain won't really affect the overnight test. Flooding the place and dumping half a yard of soil in the pool, yeah that might invalidate the results. :)
--paulr

gobeavers88

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
Missouri City, TX
Did the overnight test-but we did have lots of rain (about 2 in). FC went from 8 to 7 and CC was at 0.5. I think I'll do it again tonight if it doesn't rain, just to be sure. Should I consider shocking with this loss of FC?

gobeavers88

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
Missouri City, TX
I repeated the test and came up with the same numbers: 1 ppm loss. Still a bit concerned that it went to 0 a few nights ago, but now I know to add the chlorine in the evening and keep the levels a bit higher than they were. The water is clear, though, so maybe I worry too much. Still have a lot of backswimmers, though. Ugh!

Thanks!
Cindy

Other Threads of Interest