Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hi All,
I need some help picking my tile grout color please. I am in love with my tile, and wanted a seamless look. The pool builder who is helping us finish (after we fired the original PB) told me to use just plain white because it wouldn't get stained and was easy to keep clean. The tile was installed and grouted last week. I am not happy with the white at all. We are looking at having the tile setter remove the white grout and re-grout the pool. I need color suggestions please!!!! I know that @kimkats is the resident bling queen and I am definitely after some bling here! I am attaching pics of the tile, tile installed without grout, and then the white grout as it is now. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20211006_190228.jpg
    20211006_190228.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 20211009_123838.jpg
    20211009_123838.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20211017_115113.jpg
    20211017_115113.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 20211017_115125.jpg
    20211017_115125.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 20211017_115144.jpg
    20211017_115144.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20211017_115202 1.jpg
    20211017_115202 1.jpg
    831.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats
If you can't find the right blue grout to make a seamless look, I 2nd the silver grout option.

We went with silver/platinum on our tiles and it's not as obvious as the white you currently have. It'll match your coping tile too so you don't need different grouts.

Attachments

• 20211017_131522.jpg
    20211017_131522.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: TampaKathy
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your tile!!!!! I can see why you don't like the white as it breaks up that pretty tile. A gray grout would help the tile blend in much better. Now lets talk about HOW to fix this.............taking the grout out is going to be hard and if (when??) they are not SUPER careful they can chip the tile. I wonder about dying it..........if it is not sealed then it may take a dye/stain. See if they have grout color sticks to borrow to see which color you like the best.

Do you have any of the tile left over?

We went with a very blingy tile also, and did an off-white that matches the decking. I think it turned out really well.

I see you have the raised spa wall, so maybe not as relevant, but also remember that the waterline tile is, well, mostly underwater.

EDIT: What color is the pool surface going to be?

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your tile!!!!! I can see why you don't like the white as it breaks up that pretty tile. A gray grout would help the tile blend in much better. Now lets talk about HOW to fix this.............taking the grout out is going to be hard and if (when??) they are not SUPER careful they can chip the tile. I wonder about dying it..........if it is not sealed then it may take a dye/stain. See if they have grout color sticks to borrow to see which color you like the best.

Do you have any of the tile left over?
Thanks Kim! I've been discussing it with the tile setter for the past week, and researching dye. I know they have grout dye, but can't find any that is specifically for pools, or says that it can be used with constant water exposure. Most say something like intermittent water exposure - like in showers. I was hoping someone had some experience using it with positive results so I wouldn't have to have the grout removed. I searched the forum and didn't find anything though. The tile setters are going to use a dremel and/or razor blades to remove the grout. I've got about 3 boxes of tile left, so there's a little room for error. TBH I was being nice when I said I didn't like the white. I actually came home and cried because I was so upset lol. I've had a few days to get used to the idea now though, and I can live with it if I have to, but I definitely prefer not to. The tile setter dropped off Jamo grout sticks today and Navy looks best, or Platinum. So far I haven't been able to find a color that matches exactly. I'm worried about how the navy will look large scale. I have trouble picturing stuff like this. All I know is I want it to look like there is no grout at all...or as little as possible....just flowing shimmering water/tile.

We went with a very blingy tile also, and did an off-white that matches the decking. I think it turned out really well.

I see you have the raised spa wall, so maybe not as relevant, but also remember that the waterline tile is, well, mostly underwater.

EDIT: What color is the pool surface going to be?

We're still deciding on a pool surface color, but right now I'm leaning towards Tahoe or a tropic blue. I want something with shimmer there too, but I don't like the roughness of pebble. So I'm leaning towards a gem coat or diamond brite finish. Thoughts?

We're still deciding on a pool surface color, but right now I'm leaning towards Tahoe or a tropic blue. I want something with shimmer there too, but I don't like the roughness of pebble. So I'm leaning towards a gem coat or diamond brite finish. Thoughts?
My main purpose in asking, was just to point out you ideally want all your colors to work together. The grout is special in this sense, as it abuts all the different surfaces of your pool: tile and decking and plaster. So it kind of needs to go with all of them.

In our case, the antique off-white matches almost perfectly with the deck. It looks great next to the cobalt blue tile AND all the different iridescences in the tile -- we've seen teal, orange, silver, purple, and green! AND it works against the Blue Surf plaster. Whites are great for matching all around in this way.

I had initially thought a silver color would be nice with all the blue, but I neglected to think of my deck. It would have looked terrible against my deck unless I stained or painted it to be more grey instead of creamy off-white.

My main purpose in asking, was just to point out you ideally want all your colors to work together. The grout is special in this sense, as it abuts all the different surfaces of your pool: tile and decking and plaster. So it kind of needs to go with all of them.

In our case, the antique off-white matches almost perfectly with the deck. It looks great next to the cobalt blue tile AND all the different iridescences in the tile -- we've seen teal, orange, silver, purple, and green! AND it works against the Blue Surf plaster. Whites are great for matching all around in this way.

I had initially thought a silver color would be nice with all the blue, but I neglected to think of my deck. It would have looked terrible against my deck unless I stained or painted it to be more grey instead of creamy off-white.
I definitely think we need to consider the plaster/deck. The deck has a lot of movement and colors...the base is a creamy white but it has lots of grey and tan throughout. The plaster is going to be a blue or blue-grey if I have my way. My husband is leaning more towards a white with blue specs.... We are so indecisive lol. That's why I decided to post and hopefully get some good ideas. Thanks for the input and let me know if you have any more thoughts!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you end up with a white surface with blue speckling, I would stick with the white grout you already have.

If you end up with a blue or blue-grey, then a grey or silver grout would probably work.

Just thought I'd give an update...The tile company was unable to remove the white grout via Dremel or razor blade without chipping the smaller glass tiles, so we are forced to leave it white. I'm still not loving it, but learning to live with it. Moving on to plaster choice now.

• Sad
Well darn! It is what it is and it IS still very pretty!!! At least they tried.
Yes, they did for sure. If the tile was cheaper I would have had them remove it and re-tile. It's too much $$$ though...So now I'm looking for a wow factor plaster. Leaning towards Wet Edge Primera Stone. Any thoughts? I saw a couple very sparkly pool plasters on the forums, but can't seem to find the threads now.

Hi All,
I need some help picking my tile grout color please. I am in love with my tile, and wanted a seamless look. The pool builder who is helping us finish (after we fired the original PB) told me to use just plain white because it wouldn't get stained and was easy to keep clean. The tile was installed and grouted last week. I am not happy with the white at all. We are looking at having the tile setter remove the white grout and re-grout the pool. I need color suggestions please!!!! I know that @kimkats is the resident bling queen and I am definitely after some bling here! I am attaching pics of the tile, tile installed without grout, and then the white grout as it is now. Thanks in advance!
That tile is amazing !!!!! What color and brand is it? What color grout did you end up with?

That tile is amazing !!!!! What color and brand is it? What color grout did you end up with?
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been dealing with some family issues and haven't been on much. The tile is from Artistry In Mosaics. It is Avalon Blue. I ended up with white grout because the tile installers found it nearly impossible to chip out without damaging the tile. A clear epoxy, platinum, or blue-tinted grout would have been my ideal choice. That being said, it's growing on me with the white grout. I don't hate it as much as I did when it was first done.
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5

Blue​

Glass Tile Blends

SeriesAvalon
Part NumberAV8MXB22
Tile SizeMixed
Thickness6mm
Sheet Size12" x 12"

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
I love the look of your pool and the tile is GREAT.. The white Pops the blue so nicely...

This shot is beautiful, nicely done.. :)

1648829093012.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.