Help! Our pool water is green.

Ok. Thanks. So should we get the pH down first or just start putting bleach in? Thank you....total newbies here. And from what I’ve read, shut the SWG off while SLAMing, right?
Straight from the SLAM process link:

Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn’t reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.

The best solution to this is simply shut off the SWG, Liquidator, injection pump, etc. and use liquid chlorine only for the duration of the SLAM

Welcome to the forum!
Read the SLAM Process.
Lower your pH to 7.2 using acid. Do this in two steps. From your 8.2 target 7.6. Add the acid, circulate for an hour, test pH and TA, then add enough acid to lower to 7.2.
Then add bleach to raise your FC to SLAM level (see FC/CYA Levels). A CYA of 31 is not possible to measure. So use a CYA of 40 ppm.
Test the FC and add bleach every couple hours if possible.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you. I’ve read the SLAMing process and ABCs of pool water chemistry over and over the past few days. It’s still like reading a foreign language to me. I’m just trying to reassure myself before dumping stuff into the pool and crossing my fingers that it works.

Take it one step at a time. Lower your pH first. Calculate the dosage using poolmath. About 30-60 minutes after you dose, see how close your pH is to 7,2 and post it up in this thread

So, I’ve added MA x2, dosed per poolmath and the pH hasn’t lowered at all. Am I right in assuming the pH level could have been much higher than 8.2 since that’s the top number on the test? Do I just keep adding MA in small doses until the pH starts to go down? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To be clear your pH has not moved below 8 and you have added MA two times?
Take a look at your MA and tell us the %. How much have you added so far?
Has the pump been circulating the water since adding the MA?

Yes, keep adding in small doses, circulate water, test again after 30 min to see if you're making progress. From what I understand MA works pretty quickly, you'll eventually get there. You just don't want to over-shoot and end up with very low pH!

During a SLAM Process, you follow the non SWCG chart. You are not using the SWCG, you are using liquid chlorine.
Round up the CYA To 30 ppm. SLAM level FC is 12 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.