Our pool has been green for about 7 days. Here are our test results:

FC 2
CC 4
TC 6
CH 350
TA 180
CYA 31
pH 8.2

I know everything is way out of whack. What do we do first? Thanks so much for your help!

Jenng717

Jul 21, 2020
Billerica, MA
Ok. Thanks. So should we get the pH down first or just start putting bleach in? Thank you....total newbies here. And from what I’ve read, shut the SWG off while SLAMing, right?

lager1829

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
Lancaster County, PA
Ok. Thanks. So should we get the pH down first or just start putting bleach in? Thank you....total newbies here. And from what I’ve read, shut the SWG off while SLAMing, right?
Straight from the SLAM process link:

Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn’t reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.

The best solution to this is simply shut off the SWG, Liquidator, injection pump, etc. and use liquid chlorine only for the duration of the SLAM

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
Read the SLAM Process.
Lower your pH to 7.2 using acid. Do this in two steps. From your 8.2 target 7.6. Add the acid, circulate for an hour, test pH and TA, then add enough acid to lower to 7.2.
Then add bleach to raise your FC to SLAM level (see FC/CYA Chart). A CYA of 31 is not possible to measure. So use a CYA of 40 ppm.
Test the FC and add bleach every couple hours if possible.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Jenng717

Jul 21, 2020
Billerica, MA
Thank you. I’ve read the SLAMing process and ABCs of pool water chemistry over and over the past few days. It’s still like reading a foreign language to me. I’m just trying to reassure myself before dumping stuff into the pool and crossing my fingers that it works.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Take it one step at a time. Lower your pH first. Calculate the dosage using poolmath. About 30-60 minutes after you dose, see how close your pH is to 7,2 and post it up in this thread

Jenng717

Jul 21, 2020
Billerica, MA
So, I’ve added MA x2, dosed per poolmath and the pH hasn’t lowered at all. Am I right in assuming the pH level could have been much higher than 8.2 since that’s the top number on the test? Do I just keep adding MA in small doses until the pH starts to go down? Thanks.

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
To be clear your pH has not moved below 8 and you have added MA two times?
Take a look at your MA and tell us the %. How much have you added so far?
Has the pump been circulating the water since adding the MA?

PieterS

Jul 1, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, keep adding in small doses, circulate water, test again after 30 min to see if you're making progress. From what I understand MA works pretty quickly, you'll eventually get there. You just don't want to over-shoot and end up with very low pH!

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Am I right in assuming the pH level could have been much higher than 8.2 since that’s the top number on the test? Do I just keep adding MA in small doses until the pH starts to go down?
Absolutely correct on all counts!

Jenng717

Jul 21, 2020
Billerica, MA
Ok, so we’ve gotten the pH down to 7.2-7.5 range. Our levels don’t even measure out on the SWG FC/CYA chart. Our FC is 1 and CYA is approx 25. Should we use the regular pool chart? Thanks.