HELP - New liner install starting to float - Need advice

Jun 28, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I should have waited but decided to go ahead and install my liner yesterday. (In-ground 20 x 40) The install went great and had a perfectly fitted wrinkle free liner. However, I'm filling it with a garden hose so that is going to take 24 hours plus. The bad news is that it has been raining pretty much non stop since I started filling and now with the deep end more then 3/4 full, I noticed the liner is starting to float. I guess a lot of ground water has seeped in due to the rain.

I already put in the main drain and cut out the hole. I have not done the steps, skimmers or returns yet.

What should I do? What are my options at this point?

This is not a new pool. The liner i'm replacing was 11 years old. We've lived here 8 years and this is the first time I had to replace the liner (previous owner had a liner installed in 2008).

I'm wondering, should i continue to fill the pool until I can shut off the vacuums and then deal with the floating liner?
or should I start over. shut off the vacuums, wait until this crazy rain stops and then try to fix the liner and ground water problem.

It's chancy either way but I think I would shut off the pool and let the groundwater recede enough for you to pull the liner back taught.

Did you ever have this groundwater issue with your old liner?

I did not have a ground water issue before that I know of. However, when I had the liner out I had one spot at the bottom of the pool wall where it meets the floor, always leaking water. quite a bit actually. Especially when it rained. I did my best to patch that up, but I'm almost certain that is where the water is coming in from. But over the course of a number of dry days, it would stop leaking.

I think you have two options, then.

1. Fill it up and pretend it never happened since you didn't experience it before

2. Find a way to install a well point. An 8" pvc sleeve (with holes) down to the lowest level of the pool water. When the well point gets visible water in it, lower a sump pump down into it and pump the excess water up and away where it will run off.

i ended sucking most of it out with a transfer pump and hose behind the liner, but there is still some left. Hoping as the pool fills it will press it all out where ever it came in from. I think draining and redoing is too risky and might cause more problems having already put the main drain in. Not too mention it would take forever to drain and re-fill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.