HELP - New liner install starting to float - Need advice

esurfer

Jun 28, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I should have waited but decided to go ahead and install my liner yesterday. (In-ground 20 x 40) The install went great and had a perfectly fitted wrinkle free liner. However, I'm filling it with a garden hose so that is going to take 24 hours plus. The bad news is that it has been raining pretty much non stop since I started filling and now with the deep end more then 3/4 full, I noticed the liner is starting to float. I guess a lot of ground water has seeped in due to the rain.

I already put in the main drain and cut out the hole. I have not done the steps, skimmers or returns yet.

What should I do? What are my options at this point?

esurfer

Jun 28, 2013
St. Louis, MO
This is not a new pool. The liner i'm replacing was 11 years old. We've lived here 8 years and this is the first time I had to replace the liner (previous owner had a liner installed in 2008).

I'm wondering, should i continue to fill the pool until I can shut off the vacuums and then deal with the floating liner?
or should I start over. shut off the vacuums, wait until this crazy rain stops and then try to fix the liner and ground water problem.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
It's chancy either way but I think I would shut off the pool and let the groundwater recede enough for you to pull the liner back taught.

Did you ever have this groundwater issue with your old liner?

esurfer

Jun 28, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I did not have a ground water issue before that I know of. However, when I had the liner out I had one spot at the bottom of the pool wall where it meets the floor, always leaking water. quite a bit actually. Especially when it rained. I did my best to patch that up, but I'm almost certain that is where the water is coming in from. But over the course of a number of dry days, it would stop leaking.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I think you have two options, then.

1. Fill it up and pretend it never happened since you didn't experience it before

2. Find a way to install a well point. An 8" pvc sleeve (with holes) down to the lowest level of the pool water. When the well point gets visible water in it, lower a sump pump down into it and pump the excess water up and away where it will run off.

esurfer

Jun 28, 2013
St. Louis, MO
i ended sucking most of it out with a transfer pump and hose behind the liner, but there is still some left. Hoping as the pool fills it will press it all out where ever it came in from. I think draining and redoing is too risky and might cause more problems having already put the main drain in. Not too mention it would take forever to drain and re-fill.

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Hydrostatic pressure is a mostly function of height (depth). Once the pool is filled with water, it should be higher than the water table around the pool so you should be OK.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.