HELP needed in closing Cabana for the winter

Apr 17, 2018
NAZARETH
Hi everyone.... So I am about to finish construction on our outdoor Cabana. With the summer season end on the horizon in Northeast PA, I have to start thinking about how I can close it up and protect everything inside.
HELP/IDEAS/ADVICE would be appreciated! My initial thought was to somehow hang something down from all 3 sides and secure the bottom as well, but no idea where to start. Couple of pictures attached.... Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20200825_112421.jpg
    20200825_112421.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20200825_112447.jpg
    20200825_112447.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 113
Maybe just dismantle it and ship that whole thing to me. I'll keep an eye on it for you. 😁 Seriously though, do you get much wind there? That might impact your responses and the products best to use.

Maybe just dismantle it and ship that whole thing to me. I'll keep an eye on it for you. 😁 Seriously though, do you get much wind there? That might impact your responses and the products best to use.
Haha!! Take a road trip up to PA next year!
We do get a lot of wind....Mainly blowing to the front and window side of the Cabana, which is the main reason I want to get an idea of how to close it in.

This website may give you some ideas. My initial thoughts were the clear concept as it could allow you to use the room and still have it feel open if needed. Or canvas for a more buttoned down, solid look. Going cheap will look cheap and probably not last. But budget is always a factor.

Residential Enclosure Gallery - Enclosure Guy

This is what we do at the cabin for the winter. Custom made tarps with turnbuckles to attach at each eyelet and a man door to get in and out. Works excellent. On 5th winter now.

Attachments

• enclosure.PNG
    enclosure.PNG
    224.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Love
Reactions: Snoobug
Hi everyone.... So I am about to finish construction on our outdoor Cabana. With the summer season end on the horizon in Northeast PA, I have to start thinking about how I can close it up and protect everything inside.
HELP/IDEAS/ADVICE would be appreciated! My initial thought was to somehow hang something down from all 3 sides and secure the bottom as well, but no idea where to start. Couple of pictures attached.... Thanks!!

I would reach out to a boat top maker, a sail maker, or perhaps a convertible car top maker. They have the tools and skill to work with large, heavy, waterproof fabric.

I would have them make custom sized panels, hemmed, with grommets, and would install them on hook on the inside of the structure, You can even put a zippered opening in one of them so you can get in and out.

Or could also go totally crazy and get roll down storm shutters, but incorporating them after the fact is not going to look nice, and they are expensive.

I did a quick search and this guy came up

He is out in Denver, I am sure there is somebody closer but on his miscellaneous page you can see the type of non-boat work they do.

This would look great if you have the room :)

sliding-door-1.jpg

If that was my setup. I’d line the bottom of the posts with 2x4’s on all 3 sides to give the bottom of the tarps something to secure to. Install fasteners all along the fascia boards (at every eyelet on the tarp) and the 2x4’s, and just use tarps to close it in.

You’ll have to get a little creative with the sides due to the sloped roofline and the length of the tarps. But you can pick up eyelets and install them on the tarps where needed. Or they make bungee cord clamp sets. Once you get it all figured out, next year will be much easier to close it up.
9C4AF9AF-2668-43E0-98EB-81D473BA5060.jpeg
5C508650-DFDF-479E-B68C-B109E0935712.jpeg

Do u even have to? Mine is open on the front. I don’t do anything. I obviously drain all my lines and toilet bit other than that I just let it be. And keep my furniture coveredThe guy who did my granite said deff don’t cover it so I don’t trap moisture under it. He said being that it’s seal in spring just clean it off. He was right. No stains from rain and snow blowing in. I personally would want it to breathe. Do u want to reap moisture in there with all that wood?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This website may give you some ideas. My initial thoughts were the clear concept as it could allow you to use the room and still have it feel open if needed. Or canvas for a more buttoned down, solid look. Going cheap will look cheap and probably not last. But budget is always a factor.

Residential Enclosure Gallery - Enclosure Guy
Thank you! Yeah budget is going to be a factor.... For this winter at least. I need something to just get through this winter.
This is what we do at the cabin for the winter. Custom made tarps with turnbuckles to attach at each eyelet and a man door to get in and out. Works excellent. On 5th winter now.
I do like it. Was thinking of something similar. How did you get that set up?
I would reach out to a boat top maker, a sail maker, or perhaps a convertible car top maker. They have the tools and skill to work with large, heavy, waterproof fabric.

I would have them make custom sized panels, hemmed, with grommets, and would install them on hook on the inside of the structure, You can even put a zippered opening in one of them so you can get in and out.

Or could also go totally crazy and get roll down storm shutters, but incorporating them after the fact is not going to look nice, and they are expensive.

I did a quick search and this guy came up

He is out in Denver, I am sure there is somebody closer but on his miscellaneous page you can see the type of non-boat work they do.
I was thinking of reaching out/finding someone who does something like this. Hard to find someone around here to come out.... Let alone do something like this.
If that was my setup. I’d line the bottom of the posts with 2x4’s on all 3 sides to give the bottom of the tarps something to secure to. Install fasteners all along the fascia boards (at every eyelet on the tarp) and the 2x4’s, and just use tarps to close it in.

You’ll have to get a little creative with the sides due to the sloped roofline and the length of the tarps. But you can pick up eyelets and install them on the tarps where needed. Or they make bungee cord clamp sets. Once you get it all figured out, next year will be much easier to close it up.
View attachment 160847
View attachment 160848
So my thought was to use tarps this winter. Finding that size may be tough and then finding a way to attach them is tougher. I like your idea but not real knowledgeable about how to actually fasten everything.... Without damaging the wood or fascia. I do think tarps would be the way to go though right now.
Do u even have to? Mine is open on the front. I don’t do anything. I obviously drain all my lines and toilet bit other than that I just let it be. And keep my furniture coveredThe guy who did my granite said deff don’t cover it so I don’t trap moisture under it. He said being that it’s seal in spring just clean it off. He was right. No stains from rain and snow blowing in. I personally would want it to breathe. Do u want to reap moisture in there with all that wood?
Good call on not covering the bar up. I'll let that be as is. I did want to store a bunch of the furniture inside the Cabana this winter to save room in the garage finally. I would like to get something up to keep the rain out and snow drifting out.
You can use hurricane panels like these. I promise you they will withstand any PA or NJ winds.
Where do you find them.... And what is the cost for something like that?

Reactions: bmoreswim
Where do you find them.... And what is the cost for something like that?

I would figure for the size you are looking for you could probably do the whole thing for about $2K. There are a lot of local contractors down here who do that work.

You could just try to DIY it. Buy a bunch of hanger bolts, and wing nuts. Measure out the space call some places in south Florida order the fabric and hook it up yourself. Should save you a bunch of money too. It does not have to be perfect since you are not trying to protect yourself from 160mph winds.

so another example. my back porch is under cover and open on on 3 sides like you. I store all my furniture on it for the winter. all covered. snow drift in very minimal. never had an issue even with the blizzard a few years ago. I would store stuff under and cover them with company covers or even tarps like I do. half and half. and give it a go for the winter. I really don't think you will have an issue. u won't get 1-2 feet of snow drifted in like u might think. I get a dusting usually. I mean it might be different on how ur winds blow but don't go spending a lot. make sure everything can breathe with all that wood. wood can really contract and expand. I found that out the hard way. I expanded 2 full inches over 10 feet last winter into spring. we were all very surprised. that was with my sapele which isn't suppose to move in outdoors either. and my poplar did the same which we knew was a Crud shoot.

So my thought was to use tarps this winter. Finding that size may be tough and then finding a way to attach them is tougher. I like your idea but not real knowledgeable about how to actually fasten everything.... Without damaging the wood or fascia. I do think tarps would be the way to go though right now.

Harbor Freight has cheap tarps and eyelet kits - especially if you only plan on using them for a few seasons. You get what you pay for. They don't last as long as some of the higher quality stuff, but they are dirt cheap.

I have a 27' solar cover on a reel that i keep outside all winter. i wrap it in tarps over the winter. It think I bough something like eight or nine 4' x 6' tarps to make a 35' x 4' cover for it. I think it was less than $40 worth of tarps at HF.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.