srichardson80

Apr 15, 2020
SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 16 foot above ground Intex pool. It was covered for the winter and not treated. I began treating three days ago and my water is still green. It is a lot lighter green, but still green. I have been maintaining a chlorine level of 15, back washing my sand filter multiple times a day, my CYA is 30 and my PH is 7.2. What am I doing wrong? I thought my pool would be gray by now.

Welcome to the forum!
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
Could you drain a portion of the pool water and add fresh to get a head start? Have you netted out all the solids you can from the bottom of the pool?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Ok thank you, I completed the signature
Ok thank you, I completed the signature
Welcome to the forum!
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
Could you drain a portion of the pool water and add fresh to get a head start? Have you netted out all the solids you can from the bottom of the pool?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Hi! Yes, I have netted the solids. I am using the Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD to test. I’m adding liquid chlorine. I would prefer not to drain, but I will if necessary.

Thank you for the signature.

Those little Intex systems really struggle to clear the pool. Are you adding liquid chlorine based on testing several times per day? Are you brushing the pool each time you add chlorine?
If possible, I think you will be money ahead to drain down to 1 foot of water left or so and refill.

Thank you for the signature.

Those little Intex systems really struggle to clear the pool. Are you adding liquid chlorine based on testing several times per day? Are you brushing the pool each time you add chlorine?
If possible, I think you will be money ahead to drain down to 1 foot of water left or so and refill.
Yes, testing every two to four hours and adding according to testing. Yes I am brushing the entire liner each day, but not every time I add chlorine. I was afraid the answer would be draining which I hate to do with all that I have done to it so far. I did think the algae would at least die and turn gray even if the filter wasn’t doing the best job. I just assumed the filter would take longer to get rid of the dead algae. Still green at high FC levels is what’s getting me stumped! Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump on those pools is so weak that when you add the liquid chlorine, I doubt it is being well distributed. That is why at least a quick brushing after adding would help.

You can keep trying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.