Help my pool is a cloudy teal

Oh my goodness I am so sorry! It’s been a mess here! As well as me. Lol! I got my kit yesterday. I’m going to vacuum to waste for the second time today (I did it Sunday too but ran the pump with some bleach yesterday and let it settle over night). With all the white stuff that settles in the bottom it’s kind of clear. So when I started regular vacuuming Sunday it started blowing back out the jet. So it mixed back in made it a milky blue again so I stopped did it to waste and it helped!! That’s why I’m doing it that way again. Then I will get my reading. If that’s the way I should do it?

Follow the SLAM Process process. Keep your pump running 24/7. If solids are bypassing the filter media it may be compromised.

What does 'ultimate granular system' mean?

So a sand filter. Quite the fancy title.

The sand should be capturing the solids. Have you every deep cleaned the sand filter?

At what stage of your SLAM are you? There is a method of adding DE to your sand filter to better filter out fines, but the filter must be watched very closely as it can plug up quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Here at this forum, we emphasize proper home water testing. It's the most reliable. Pool stores and their products will lead you astray. I would recommend the following:
- Get a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K_2006C test kit. See Test Kits Compared
- Read the SLAM Process page. That's how we remove algae for good.
- Don't add anything else to your water right now except for regular bleach. But not too much until you get a proper kit and can post a full set of results. We'll coach you from there.
- Don't forget to update your signature as well.

Ok! Things have slowed down here, it’s been nuts, we are in the midst of a “great flood”. My pool is mostly clear and here are my results from my handy dandy kit y’all suggested.

1.5 FC
1 CC
2.5 TC

Calcium turned a bright bubble gum pink -14 drops of R-0012 to turn it blue. 350 PPM (I read 250-400 is ideal so I should be good on this right?)

11 drops R 0009 turned red 110 TA (100-120 good so I’m good here?)

CYA About 71

Did I get all the things I need? I followed all the steps in the kit. So I feel a bit of relief having all of that and possibly getting the help I need. I added two things of bleach yesterday and some clarifier.

Thanks for any and all help! And I appreciate you all being so kind and patient with me. I was super overwhelmed when I asked in the beginning because of all the madness here with family staying because them being displaced by the flood, and me trying to understand what you guys were explaining to me :).

Good job on the kit.

Your FC is very low for your CYA. See FC/CYA Levels. You may want to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test in the near future if your FC loss each day exceeds 4 ppm.

Ok thanks! So basically I just need bleach? I’m headed to town now to take my son to the clinic and was going to pick some up. I’ll look at the chart while we are in the waiting room

Once you get your FC to target range, you will need about 3 quarts of 10% liquid chlorine every day. Test your FC daily to determine how much to add.

Reactions: Jmckinnon
To lower CYA you remove pool water with the CYA and add fresh water that does not have CYA.

It is purely a math problem. Say you want to target 40 ppm CYA. That means you need to remove 3/7ths of your water, or about 40% of our water. I assume your pool depth is 48", so drain off 20" of water and refill and your CYA will be about 40 ppm.

I’m awful at math but I WILL get this lol! It’s just a learning curve for sure! :). Thanks for your help! I’ll be draining tomorrow while my hubby is at work lol! So he doesn’t know Bc it’s all $$$ to him and he hates our pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.