Help my pool is a cloudy teal

Jul 2, 2018
Jerseyville/IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I opened my pool and we had the water tested at our local pool store. I did everything they told me to do. It’s reading no chlorine and is still teal and cloudy. I need to vacuum it as we just opened it, I brushed it. What should I do? What should I ad? Walmart brand shock? Or bleach?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Here at this forum, we emphasize proper home water testing. It's the most reliable. Pool stores and their products will lead you astray. I would recommend the following:
- Get a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K_2006C test kit. See Test Kits Compared
- Read the SLAM Process page. That's how we remove algae for good.
- Don't add anything else to your water right now except for regular bleach. But not too much until you get a proper kit and can post a full set of results. We'll coach you from there.
- Don't forget to update your signature as well.

Reactions: Jmckinnon
Welcome to the forum! The solution is in understanding the process that Texas Splash outlined above. Once you understand how to test your water, the SLAM process and what it is and how to care for your water, the likelihood of having problems goes way down and when one does arise you will know exactly what actions to take to remedy them.

Here is the best part, the TFPC method is very simple. Might seem overwhelming at first glance but once you start it comes natural and makes complete sense, unlike whatever magic concoctions a pool store will try and sell you. You are in great hands here and I encourage you to start the learning journey and ask as many questions as you need.

I am a fairly new pool owner and never had one growing up. Thanks to this site and all the material it provides that I have read and reread, I am advising friends that have owned pools for years on how to remedy their problems.

Ye
Welcome to the forum! The solution is in understanding the process that Texas Splash outlined above. Once you understand how to test your water, the SLAM process and what it is and how to care for your water, the likelihood of having problems goes way down and when one does arise you will know exactly what actions to take to remedy them.

Here is the best part, the TFPC method is very simple. Might seem overwhelming at first glance but once you start it comes natural and makes complete sense, unlike whatever magic concoctions a pool store will try and sell you. You are in great hands here and I encourage you to start the learning journey and ask as many questions as you need.

I am a fairly new pool owner and never had one growing up. Thanks to this site and all the material it provides that I have read and reread, I am advising friends that have owned pools for years on how to remedy their problems.
s

The process and the reading material is super overwhelming. We have had a pool for a long time but we were salt water pool owners and recently in the last year switched to chlorine. I’m a “I want results now person” but I know it will take time. I added bleach last night and it still looks the same. I’m going to read and try to understand the SLAM process. I’m also getting in to clean it today. Where can I buy one of those test kits? I save a 6 step kit like that at Walmart (probably a big no no) but if I get it from amazon it will be a two day wait. Do they sell them at the pool store? I’m totally clueless lol! Also I updated my signature....I hope it’s right! If not please let me know.

Hi, and let me save you some time and agony. I was in your shoes a few years ago. Struggled with the pool and took piecemeal advice from here and the pool store. Stop. These people know what they are doing and have forgotten more than I will ever know.

Buy this TestKit. TF-100 Test Kit ™
And get a SpeedStir while you are at it. You will never look back.

Experts will chime in on what to do and how much bleach to add until your testkit arrives.

You can add chlorine daily until your test kit arrives. How much depends on the size of your pool. Please put your pool details in your signature. Click on your user name in the upper right and add your pool details to your sig.

That is critical at this point. You will save yourself much time, agony and money the faster you get any and all organic matter out. It can mean the difference between days to clear and weeks.
Yes! Thank you! It’s slowly starting to clear! Hallelujah! I have the test kit being delivered this weekend! I hope it is clear by then! ????????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can add chlorine daily until your test kit arrives. How much depends on the size of your pool. Please put your pool details in your signature. Click on your user name in the upper right and add your pool details to your sig.
Thank you! I feel a little clueless on this forum, it’s not the set up I’m used to. So please suggest away on the signature! I will add the deets! Thanks again!! :)

Look at our signatures for what is best to have in them.
If you are on a phone, turn it sideways to see them.
Oh goodness me! I’ll need to call the pool store we got all this from. I have a photo of the pump we have let me copy that. I know the size and depth but I do not know the brand . Let me get all this together tomorrow!! Thank you so much for your help!

Ok my temp results of my readings are (until I get my good test kit in the mail) CYA 50, PH 6.8, FC 0, TA 240, CH 500 (we have hard water just naturally here....and it suggests draining 40% of my pool, but is there a way to fix this without having to do that?)

If you have hard water replacing the pool water with it would not help. The CH can be managed

Keep adding 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each evening until you get your test kit

If you have hard water replacing the pool water with it would not help. The CH can be managed

Keep adding 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each evening until you get your test kit
Oh my gosh! I want to cry! We backwashed the pool Sunday. And my husband put the pump on closed instead of filter. My pool was clear......I just put the pump on filter and now it’s cloudy again.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Here at this forum, we emphasize proper home water testing. It's the most reliable. Pool stores and their products will lead you astray. I would recommend the following:
- Get a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K_2006C test kit. See Test Kits Compared
- Read the SLAM Process page. That's how we remove algae for good.
- Don't add anything else to your water right now except for regular bleach. But not too much until you get a proper kit and can post a full set of results. We'll coach you from there.
- Don't forget to update your signature as well.

Test kit arrives today at some point. ???. Also I hope my signature is sufficient enough. The pool store we bought the pool from are super rude and won’t pull our ticket with the rest of the info. Is there enough info on my signature? I can try to call again today but Sadly they will say they will call me back which they never do.

Hummm. I'm not seeing anything in your signature except for the smiley face, "thanks so much", and your name. We'll help you though. If you look at our sigatures, it should give you an idea of what we need to see. You can also post a pic of your pool and equipment pad and we can help that way as well.

Hummm. I'm not seeing anything in your signature except for the smiley face, "thanks so much", and your name. We'll help you though. If you look at our sigatures, it should give you an idea of what we need to see. You can also post a pic of your pool and equipment pad and we can help that way as well.
Weird I updated it maybe it didn’t save. I’ll redo it here in a second. Sorry about that! Maybe when I backed out I backed out too far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.