Help me take control of my pool!

Jun 28, 2018
Indiana
We are having a new fence installed around our pool. I thought it would be a good idea to put the solar cover on to help keep debris out. Before I did this, I upped the Chlorine Level and added algaecide.

8 days later, I take off the solar cover and the pool is green on the bottom. So, I turn the pump to filter and vacuum. I had to backwash twice during this process and added water from the hose.

I tested the chemicals and got ready to slam. After adding 3 gallons of liquid chlorine, 1 every hour, it was still at 0. So before I screw anything else up, I stopped and thought it was best to let it filter while I get help.
Taylor Test:
Cl 0
pH 7.2
Alkalinity 170
Calcium Hardness 312
CYA <20

Hi there. First question would be what test kit are you using are you using to get your readings? In order to assure accurate readings and provide the correct advice based on the results a TF-100, TF-Pro, or Taylor K2006C are necessary.

More info can be found here: Swimming Pool Test Kits Compared

Given what you’ve stated, its likely you’ve got an algae bloom that is consuming the chlorine and you‘re in need of a SLAM.

What algecide did you add prior to putting the cover on?

Hi there. First question would be what test kit are you using are you using to get your readings? In order to assure accurate readings and provide the correct advice based on the results a TF-100, TF-Pro, or Taylor K2006C are necessary.

More info can be found here: Swimming Pool Test Kits Compared

Given what you’ve stated, its likely you’ve got an algae bloom that is consuming the chlorine and you‘re in need of a SLAM.

What algecide did you add prior to putting the cover on?
TF-100
Algaecide 50 by AquMate

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can put in LC @ 5 ppm and see if you can get to hold because if it keeps turning to 0ppm then you may have ammonia which can cause the CYA to dissappear.
No ammonia as far as I can tell. Here are my test results:
7/5
CL 1
pH 7.2
7:30 1 gal Cl

FC 2
CC 5.5
TC 7.5
8:45 1 gal Cl

FC 8.5
CC 2
TC 10.5

I will continue SLAM process tonight. Plan on vacuuming and backwashing as needed tomorrow morning and add stabilizer in the afternoon, if needed.

I think the second set of numbers you switched the FC and CC. We don't use the TC and skip the PH for now. Get 30 CYA in via granular with sock method and slam could begin after the PH adjustment of 7.2. Just be sure you really don't have CYA Iin there now as slamming with high CYA gets complicated needing much more chlorine for the same job.

I think I switched the numbers too. I checked CYA this morning 7/6. Working on getting it up to 30 ppm today using the sock method.
FC 1
CC .5
TC 1.5
CYA <20

Add 32 oz. Of stabilizer 3x throughout the day. Should I add any chlorine or floater today while adjusting CYA to try to keep a little chlorine in the pool? It is in full sun and, it's been in the mid to upper 90s every day.

If you think you had CYA 20 the just add 10 per poolmath in one shot and call it done. You wont see it show up the same day or the next but assume it's there.The chlorine will burn off very fast without it. Get the needed LC in asap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.