Help me identify this skimmer

Vinny_c

May 21, 2019
Tucson az
Last year I bought a house and inherited an old pool. I believe this pool is 40 or 50 years old but I am not sure because I can't find any information on it. The skimmer cover says biltmore pools but when I search for that I only find results for biltmore resorts. I have been researching skimmers and nothing on the internet looks anything like my setup. I only have one port in the skimmer and it is on the side wall. My suction pipe is broken right at the edge of the wall. Are there any options to fix this without replacing the whole pipe?20190521_102945.jpg20190521_103036.jpg20190521_103016.jpg

Also there is no pipe at the bottom, I vacuumed all the dirt out of there with a shop vac at one point just to check. I am not sure where the floor drain connects, I have a feeling the floor drain is plumbed in line with the skimmer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not sure but I will check when I get home, if it is an equalizer with a plug would that be the pipe to my floor drain. Also if it is what do you think the chances of it being a copper pipe? I am starting to think that someone repiped most of the system but stopped short of the floor drain because of cost.

Thanks everyone, you helped me understand alot. I spent a few days of research and didnt find anything out. I have a pretty good idea of what to do next. I will post an update when I have a solution. I am in the process of acquiring the original build permits from the city but I'm just wondering how old do you guys think the pool is?

Reactions: PoolguyinCT
Vinny, if it were my pool, based on the years of experience that responded to the post, I’d hammer jack that old skimmer, and give it a comfy spot in the dumpster.
Just the thought of chasing my tail trying to find parts now, and in the future, would warrant a do over. :cheers:

It looks like an old skim filter that had the base disintegrate and someone came in and poured the base up with concrete, and knocked a hole in the side for the suction line. Which by the way was done with what looks like schedule 20 pipe (irrigation). If it doesn't leak, run it. If it do, replace it. You will probably be better off if you do the demo yourself. Then have a pool guy come in and replace the skimmer. Save some of that 5K. Dont be surprised if the skimmer is actually about a foot deeper than it looks when knocking it out.

Reactions: PoolguyinCT
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.