Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi all,

I am planning on building a ~16500 gal pool in southeast Texas.

Our builder uses Jandy equipment so I’d havean Aquapure 1400 that Jandy rates at 40kgal with a chlorine generation of 1.25 lbs of chlorine per day.

Using PoolMath, the “effects of adding” 1.25 pounds of chlorine gas would raise FC by 9 ppm.

I think I’ve read that typical southeast Texas summer consumption may run around 5-6 ppm of FC per day, does that seem right?

According to PoolMath, to raise 6 ppm m of FC, I need to generate 0.8 lbs of chlorine, or around 65% of the PLC1400’s capacity. So I would need to run my VS pump for 16 hours per day at 100% SWG output.

Does my math sound right? Wondering if I should push Pentair equipment with an IC60 but the builder doesn’t use Pentair much so there’s probably some risk.

I guess I should add that it seems like running a pump 16 hours a day seems like a lot compared to what I’ve heard others say, but I don’t actually understand what the real downside of having to do that are. Would be interested to understand that.

bigger is better and the 5 -6 cl loss is high end and not all summer so you will have some options do you have shade part sun ? im in Okla run 24/7 year round never shut down keep water at 60 deg in winter i love my blue water never want to see it green Jus me tho.

Your math sounds right.

Running a VS pump at 1500 RPM for 16-24 hours a day may cost les then a dollar a day. There is little downside to running the SWG for most of the day.

I found out my pool is actually 22kgal. I think 16.5kgal was an older iteration of the design.

At this volume, the Jandy Aquapures 1.25 lb capacity can raise FC by 6.8 running at 100% 24/7.

It seems like this would still work technically. But do you think it’s worth it to ask the builder to use Pentair IC60 instead? It’s got 60% more capacity.

The trade off is the builder rarely uses Pentair, and Id be asking him to switch the Swg, pump, and automation to something he rarely uses. Don’t want to create issues but also don’t want to undersize the swg

thoughts?

Last edited:
There are quite a few using pentair like myself and will gladly help you set programming up if your PB is not current. Installation is no different than jandy. I would definitely run with the IC-60, the 40 has a little higher failure of the temp sensor which is no big deal to replace.

Reactions: jimbethesda
I found out my pool is actually 22kgal. I think 16.5kgal was an older iteration of the design.

At this volume, the Jandy Aquapures 1.25 lb capacity can raise FC by 6.8 running at 100% 24/7.

It seems like this would still work technically. But do you think it’s worth it to ask the builder to use Pentair IC60 instead? It’s got 60% more capacity.

The trade off is the builder rarely uses Pentair, and Id be asking him to switch the Swg, pump, and automation to something he rarely uses. Don’t want to create issues but also don’t want to undersize the swg

thoughts?
Yes. IC60 user here with a 20,000 gallon pool. The cell’s life is rated in number of hours of usage. So, oversized will last longer too. I run my pump 9 hours a day and can generate 4.5 ppm in that time.

Bigger gives you more flexibility for (usually) a small bump in price.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Interesting. PB said he’s going to check with his Jandy rep on what equipment will work with what.

Obviously worried about some bias here and that the answer may be that the Aquapure is big enough or that the Pentair SWG will work with Jandy automation and pump. I’m not sure how much I can push this right now with demand so high...

hmmmmmm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does that apply to main VS pump and swg only? What about heater, filter, single speed water feature pump, valves?

I have been running an Intellichlor SWG with a Jandy Aqualink automation for years without a problem. I prefer the Pentair SWG to Jandys SWGs.

I have been running an Intellichlor SWG with a Jandy Aqualink automation for years without a problem. I prefer the Pentair SWG to Jandys SWGs.
Ajw,
So does the Jandy Aqualink just turn the SWG on and off, and you make adjustments to the SWG % at the pad?

Do you have a spa and if so how do you handle spa mode?

Ajw,
So does the Jandy Aqualink just turn the SWG on and off, and you make adjustments to the SWG % at the pad?

Intellichlor is connected to the filter/pump relay and goes on and off with the pump. All SWG adjustments have to be made on the SWG at the pad. I hardly ever need to adjust anything so I haven't cared.

Do you have a spa and if so how do you handle spa mode?

The SWG just does its thing generating in spa mode. I may use the spa for 2 or 3 hours at the most. With CYA 60 my FC may be 5 or 6 and the SLAM FC is 24. The SWG is not going to put the spa over the safe SLAM FC level in a few hours. I have both calculated it and measured the FC level at the end of a long spa run.

It would be nice to lower the SWG output in spa mode and I have lived with it this way for 16 years. When I finally change my Aqualink to the IntelliCenter I have in my garage I will have that control.

Ok thanks for sharing your experience.

I am anticipating that given the state of the pool building market (crazy demand) and my builder’s experience and preference with Jandy equipment, that I will likely need to compromise on something. The PB I’ve been working with has been helpful and accommodating but the market is so hot right now that I can appreciate any PB’s incentive to not spend too much extra time and risk doing something outside their experience band.

I guess my options are:
1. Convince PB to go with Pentair IC60 SWG, Intellicenter, Intelliflo VS (don’t care Jandy vs Pentair on heater, filter, feature pump). This would be my ideal.

2. Go with Jandy VSP and Aqualink automation and Pentair IC60 SWG. I’d have limitations that you described in terms of controlling my SWG with the automation but would have the bigger SWG capacity.

3. Stick with all Jandy equipment including Aquapure SWG, and accept that my SWG will be limited to a max of about 6.5 PPM FC generated / day, and that I may need to run my pump a 18-24 hours/day in the peak of summer. Though it is a VS pump so costs should be manageable, just feels odd to me.

Option 1 would be my preferred but my PB may push back. Seems like it’s almost a wash between options 2 and 3? Maybe I’m over thinking this. I guess all three would work.

it is your pool and you will have to live with equipment for as long as YOU will live there... he has no say in what equipment YOU want... If he can not put it in have HIM find someone who can, it is not your job to do his job but it is your job to get what YOU want.. :)

You could also buy the ROCKSTAR Circupool RJ60 plus that can put 3.1 pounds per day in your pool and hand it to him and have him install it.. at $1400 it is cheaper and better than both the Jandy and Pentair.. (y) CircuPool RJ-60 PLUS Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.