Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
After trying with multiple builders unsuccessfully here in Indiana to get a pool built before Fall of 2021, I've decided to DIY an 18x36 vinyl lined diving pool. I'll be GC and find subs for most of the work. I have quotes from Royal and Pool Warehouse so I'll probably go with one of those. I have found a couple of people who have 15 yr experience building pools that I will likely lean on for consultation too.

First though, can anyone offer advice on securing permits? I have a site plan from Mysiteplan, but not sure what I need to do next for permitting.

The permits are my least favorite thing. You can do it yourself but try looking into someone that can do it for you. I hired someone to do it and never left my house. They came, they went and returned with plans and permit all in a week (Pre-Covid). I have done the OB twice. First time I did plans and permits. Second time it was well worth the price I paid. Which I was surprised that is wasn't really that much for the amount of work. But when you have the experience and software, it is easy I guess.

I find a possible permit resource. Permits.com will do all the legwork for $279. $200 refund if they can't get the permits for some reason.

Anyone used them?

Does not sound right to me. That is really cheap. Have you spoken to anyone? That may be just to go stand in line and get the permit. You will need plans + engineering plans, and the cost of the permit itself. Standard pool engineering plans around here are $150.00. Then add the plot plan and permit cost.

If I could make a suggestion. Start calling subcontractors, ask them if they have a source for plans/permits. That's what I did anyway. Actually, the excavator I hired and gunite/shotcrete company had everything i wanted to know with a list of recommended subcontractors. Both recommended the same person for plans/permits. Worth a shot.

EDIT:
I just remembered you are doing a DYI pool? I did a in ground cement, different build, not sure what the plans/engineering would be for that. Is it Vinyl lined or a fiberglass pool? Would make a difference and out of my wheels house. So perhaps the site you mentioned would be helpful or asking the builders of the kit. Anyhow a call to an excavator for a bid and guidance on permits would still be an option.

Last edited:
Not easy to subcontract a liner pool. Those online places will send you stamped drawings for your state for a fee, that's the best way. You need to find out what your local office requires. Some want a survey, others a topographical drawing, it varies. Getting electrical subs amd plumbers is easy, the hard part is finding labor that is skilled to dig amd set the pool walls then do the floor. Any old excavator cant dig a liner pool, it's a specialized talent honestly

I acted as GC on my pool 32 years ago. I'm more than certain that much has changed since then. However, I went to the city's Building and Safety department and they had a nice checklist for pool construction. As I recall, I drew the plans but had to get a certified soil engineering test. At that time, they didn't even come to the site. They just worked off the address. The one thing that surprised me was that each trade (excavator, steel, gunite, plaster, etc.) would recommend subs for subsequent stages of the build. There were glitches along the way, for sure. But the reward was worth it. A neighbor was building his pool at the same time, so we pooled (no pun intended) the bids and that worked out as well. We're both still enjoying the fruits of our efforts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.