HELP! Liner Hole in Very Bottom of the Pool

Aug 28, 2009
UGH! I was doing my closing procedure in the pool, and it seems when I was pulling out the stairs, I managed to put a hole in the liner, which I didn't see for about 10 minutes, and it grew. It's actually a tear about 1" long and 1/2" wide.

I managed to get a patch on it, which was so much fun since it's 50 degrees outside, 60 in the pool, and raining, BUT...I'm not 100% sure that it's fully patched.

This liner/pool has been a bit of a comedy of errors anyway, and I have several patches. I wonder if I should just cut my losses and put a new liner in next year?

The question is...if I do that, do I go ahead and drain the pool completely, just in case it's still leaking? The pool is in ground, surrounded by a deck, but not backfilled. I can cover it so the snow stays off of it, but I'm not sure if it's safe to leave it as is and leave it "dry" with the liner in it for the winter, or if I need to drain it, patch it, refill, then winterize?

HELP!

Just an update for myself I guess, but I did indeed get the hole patched to the point where it's either not leaking at all or so little I can't tell. I decided I'm going to get a new liner next year anyway just due to the fact it wasn't the one I wanted anyway (they sent the wrong one and gave me a huge credit to keep it). I wasn't all that happy with the way it went in after the accident (see my other posts.)

So, I'll winterize as normal more or less, and begin anew next Spring.

KD

Hi..just read your post.If you want to change your liner that is up to you..(of course) haha.I got a hole in mine this summer and the patch held all summer and still going, so I am not going to get a new liner until I have to. I don't know where you bought your liner but I found good prices at Nationlpoolwholesalers.com. good luck

Deb

Is there a "minimum" level? It does still have a very small leak, so I'll need to drop the level down such that I can patch without having to get all the way under the water, but then refill to that minimum. Could you go like a foot under the skimmer?

beartoothweb said:
Is there a "minimum" level? It does still have a very small leak, so I'll need to drop the level down such that I can patch without having to get all the way under the water, but then refill to that minimum. Could you go like a foot under the skimmer?

if it's an above ground you need about a foot of water to keep the liner in place, although by only having a foot of water in the pool could allow gusts of winds to damage the pool walls since they are no longer being supported from the inside by the weight of the water.

Thanks Kevin, I have about 34 inches of water in there now, which I know because that's my inseam, and unfortunately...it didn't drain down more than that before I got in this weekend to reseal the hole. ;->

I'll leave that amount in. Wind isn't really an issue, it's sunk in the ground (no backfill, covered with a deck), so I think it's current level should be fine based on what you're saying, and with some added water over the winter from snow.

Thanks All!

KD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.