Help! I've never had this much algae

Never mind. I just re-read your last post. :brickwall: Please do the following:

1. Use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10 for now. Temporarily remove the sock of CYA by placing in a bowl or bucket. Or at least pause on squeezing it.
2. After increasing the FC to 10, retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
3. If FC crashes below 5 ppm, add FC to bring back up to 10 and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
4. If FC holds between 5 - 10, then add FC to bring back up to the new SLAM level of "12".
5. Now you can put the CYA back in the water and/or start squeezing it again. You want to bring the CYA up to 30 ppm.

That 10-min drill is very important until you see the FC holding.
Do I start the countdown right after I put the chlorine in?

If you got an FC of 8.5 after 10 minutes, then it's time to add that stabilizer/conditioner and increase the FC to "12" You will officially be in SLAM Process mode. You may not need to test it every 10 minutes as it should start to hold better and longer. But get a feel for it. Test in 20 min, then after that maybe 30 or 45. Eventually the FC will take-hold and you'll test the FC every few hours. But keep on it.

If you got an FC of 8.5 after 10 minutes, then it's time to add that stabilizer/conditioner and increase the FC to "12" You will officially be in SLAM Process mode. You may not need to test it every 10 minutes as it should start to hold better and longer. But get a feel for it. Test in 20 min, then after that maybe 30 or 45. Eventually the FC will take-hold and you'll test the FC every few hours. But keep on it.
Okay, I kept adding to get it to 10. Just checked and it's at 11. Putting the rest of the stabilizer into sock. DH gonna pick up more stabilizer as it called for 7.5 lbs.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I kept it up to 12 until I went to bed last night. No time to test or add this morning. We're getting a ton of rain and may have to drain some water. Is it going to be okay to resume the SLAM this evening and with all the rain? I put the robot in and brushed the walls real good last night as well. I hope what I've done so far is not going to waste.

s it going to be okay to resume the SLAM this evening and with all the rain?
Not crazy at all. If you do dump some water due to overflow, just add more chlorine and go back inside to dry off. :) Do the best you can. No worries. Life (and weather) get in the way sometimes.

Another question...after putting in the stabilizer, directions say not to backwash for 72 hours but what if I need to during SLAM?
The directions are assuming you dumped it right in the skimmer like it said to and it all got trapped in the filter. Backwashing in that case will get rid of whatever is in there that hasn't dissolved.

You should be fine from adding yours to the pool and not the skimmer.

Reactions: Farmerswife96

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another question...after putting in the stabilizer, directions say not to backwash for 72 hours but what if I need to during SLAM?
If you added by putting it into a sock and letting it dissolve out of that you're OK to backwash whenever.

The 72 hours is for the typical way people add CYA which is dumping it into the skimmer, where it sets on your filter and dissolves over a few days. Backwashing then would kick out the undissolved particles. But it's a bad idea to add CYA that way anyhow, because:

• Wow
Reactions: Farmerswife96
If you added by putting it into a sock and letting it dissolve out of that you're OK to backwash whenever.

The 72 hours is for the typical way people add CYA which is dumping it into the skimmer, where it sets on your filter and dissolves over a few days. Backwashing then would kick out the undissolved particles. But it's a bad idea to add CYA that way anyhow, because:

Yeah, got the old white sock twirling in front of the jet😁 I've learned so much the last few years 😉
DH is vacuuming and brushing today and I will adjust chlorine! Pool is almost clear, much much better. I'm hoping SLAM will be over tomorrow.

If CCs are within acceptable range, can I stop the SLAM?
According to the SLAM guide...

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.