Help, I'm lost!

magentabluepool

New member
Jun 26, 2010
3
ok, first, totally funny, we got water in the pool yesterday, the kids played in it for hours. When I called them all in, the side failed and dumped all my water out of the pool! LOL

So, I refilled again today, nice icy cold hose water that just might not ever get warm....

I bought my 6 way testing kit and tested the water this evening. Now what?? I tried to use the pool calculator, I hoped to get bleach in the pool this evening, but it just isn't gonna happen now. So first thing in the morning?

Here's my numbers:
Chlorine .5-1
pH 7.5
alkalinity 130
hardness 140
CYA below 30

What do I do? I just can't figure out how to use the pool calculator. Oh, my pool is 15'X42", total gallons 3110. It's one of those with the blow up ring top thing, which is a whole 'nother post, since the stupid thing just won't hold air....

Thanks a million in advance!
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,221
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
Your numbers are fine - if the water was completely drained out then your CYA is 0.

This article will help you get started...
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

You simply need CYA and bleach/chlorine at this point. If you can find some dichlor as the article instructs you can use a little of that each day until your CYA reaches the proper range and then just switch to bleach.

This article tells you how to use the Pool Calculator. Post back if you are still having probs figuring it out :wink:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_calculator
 

magentabluepool

New member
Jun 26, 2010
3
follow up to being lost

I added a sock of CYA, I can't remember how much now since that was 2 days ago. It's crystal type stuff, figured that was solid and the pool calculator thing said to put it in a sock, so I did. My chlorine has been at zero each time I test it. I put in 23 oz the first night, 30 oz last night and another 30 oz tonight. My water is clear and we swam (sort of, it's really cold still! LOL) today with 6 people. Do I need to hit it harder with something else? Someone told me to "shock" it but I'm not sure what that means I'm supposed to do. Do I sound like a moron yet?
 

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
2,598
I suggest you start a Pool Book to keep records of what you added and why. It is way too hard to recall it all.

I record all test results, what chemicals I add (strength and volume) and what result I was expecting plus comments. Like; FC = 2.0 added 1 1/2 jug 6% bleach, goal FC 7.0, noon 6/17, rain, cleaned pump basket.
 

ob1quixote

Well-known member
Jun 13, 2010
187
Stick with it! The friendly folks here will help you get it straight. I'm still chasing mine a little, but making steady improvement, screening the leaves out is getting tough, the water is too clear!

signed,
another Intex blob pool owner
 

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
3,734
NY
Re: follow up to being lost

magentabluepool said:
I added a sock of CYA, I can't remember how much now since that was 2 days ago. It's crystal type stuff, figured that was solid and the pool calculator thing said to put it in a sock, so I did. My chlorine has been at zero each time I test it. I put in 23 oz the first night, 30 oz last night and another 30 oz tonight. My water is clear and we swam (sort of, it's really cold still! LOL) today with 6 people. Do I need to hit it harder with something else? Someone told me to "shock" it but I'm not sure what that means I'm supposed to do. Do I sound like a moron yet?

If you added CYA 2 days ago, isn't it gone, along with the pool water that spilled out? If so you'll need to add cya again...your chlorine is being burned up by the sun with no CYA.
 

magentabluepool

New member
Jun 26, 2010
3
Re: follow up to being lost

dmanb2b said:
magentabluepool said:
I added a sock of CYA, I can't remember how much now since that was 2 days ago. It's crystal type stuff, figured that was solid and the pool calculator thing said to put it in a sock, so I did. My chlorine has been at zero each time I test it. I put in 23 oz the first night, 30 oz last night and another 30 oz tonight. My water is clear and we swam (sort of, it's really cold still! LOL) today with 6 people. Do I need to hit it harder with something else? Someone told me to "shock" it but I'm not sure what that means I'm supposed to do. Do I sound like a moron yet?

If you added CYA 2 days ago, isn't it gone, along with the pool water that spilled out? If so you'll need to add cya again...your chlorine is being burned up by the sun with no CYA.
no, it's not gone, it was added the day after the big pool dump. Should I do something to get it to dissolve better/faster? It's in a sock, it's still there, right near the inlet of the pump, just sitting there.

We had another minor pool spill overnight. I have to get that ring repaired. I just can't find any more holes. The patches we have made are holding, so that's a good sign, but it's clearly still leaking. I sprayed around it once with soapy water, hoping to see bubbles and find a hole, but nothing yet. Got any suggestions?
 

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
3,734
NY
My suggestion is to keep trying to fix the leak issue, before you try balancing your water. Your previous post wasn't clear that your CYA was still undisolved in a sock. Try squezzing it a few times while it is soaking as it will help it disolve faster...but as long as you keep losing water, your #'s are going to be all over the place.
 

jimbo65

Member
Jun 29, 2010
17
I recently installed a 15x48 Intex Easy Set pool. I spent 2 days leveling the ground to within 1". These pools need to be level. They set up quickly but you must have a level piece of land to place the pool on. In my opinion, you are wasting your time and money worrying about chemicals when you should really be concerned with installing the pool properly.
 

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
877
Be sure you have not over-inflated the ring. They expand in the hot sun and can easily spring a leak at a seam if too full of air. I think about 3/4 full of air is enough.
 

jimbo65

Member
Jun 29, 2010
17
crek31 said:
Be sure you have not over-inflated the ring. They expand in the hot sun and can easily spring a leak at a seam if too full of air. I think about 3/4 full of air is enough.

The instructional video says to inflate the ring until it is "firm". It does not account for temperature but one can assume there will always be hot sun during pool season. I don't think the 3/4 full theory is wise.
 

Durk

Well-known member
Jun 14, 2007
654
New Jersey
Stick with firm. They dump water really easily if not firmly inflated. Especially if at all out of level. If you call the kids out at the same time, make them exit the side where the ground is higher. Otherwise the water will come with them. Even better, get a piece of perfectly level ground. I'd say it is more important with these things than a hard-side pool.

When I had one, I found the pinholes by listening for them--going around the ring inside and outside with my Mark I ear. If you are close enough to the hole, you can hear it.
 

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
877
The Intex FAQ on the Easy Sets discusses how full and clarifies to not over-inflate.
 

Other Threads of Interest