Help identifying pump specs

slange316

Jun 2, 2010
Hello,

I have been researching for a possible lower energy replacement pump. The one I have was purchased as part of a package for our above ground pool. Its a 27' round AGP. The pump is a Hayward SP1520Z1EFTC, HP 2.0, SF SPL. What I would like to know is the service factor so I can see what BHP the pump really is. I have searched the www tirelessly and found nothing.

I called Hayward and was told what a replacement part no is and it is also a 2HP pump. He would not answer my question about what is the SF. I asked if this is a true 2HP he said it is a "special low head" pump so it probably has a small impeller. Reduced HP?

I then called AO Smith, they would not tell me the SF either and that their customer, Hayward, asked not to have the it printed on the label.

Does anybody have a clue what the actual HP of this pump is?

So I guess this is a marketing trick to sell lower HP pump as a 2 HP pump to uneducated pool buyers.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
What are the FLA (full load amps) listed on the dataplate? That'll give you a clue.

SPL rating means double uprated. That usually means a SF of less than 1. I saw one once with a SF of .75.

slange316

Jun 2, 2010
AMPS says 15.0, nothing that says FLA. I have attached a pic of the plate. Im guesing this is a SF of .75 giving it a THP of 1.5. Would like to confirm though.

Attachments

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
SPL is an indicator that the pump is double up rated which has a SF that is less than 1. So a 2 HP SPL is the equivalent of a 1.5 HP up rated pump which is also the equivalent of a 1 HP full rated pump although AG pumps rarely come in full rated versions. So even though the label say 2 HP, it is really operating more like a 1.5 HP AG pump. Add to that, AG pumps are smaller than similar IG pumps so I wouldn't get to wrapped up in label ratings.

Why the interest?

slange316

Jun 2, 2010
I would like to get a timer that is a little more robust than the one that comes with the pump. Nobody makes a timer where I can just plug the pump into it. Most plug in type timers have a max horse power rating of 1.5 max.