Help!, I am confused about what to do next

May 23, 2010
Hi all,

This is my first time actually posting something on the forum. I have been following the forum the past two years since I became a pool owner. This is the first time I have been really confused.

About two weeks ago we opened the pool to avery smelly black swamp. We started be filling the water back up to normal levels and to start to get all the debris. When it came to chemicals I thought I knew the process but actually forgot about a few thihngs. I started by trying to get my cya up and using a shock treatment. I totally negletet TA and Ph because I didnt' think it necessary to keep them at level during the shocking process. I also use a couple of chlorine free shocks and used one dosage of a copper based algecide. This past weekend I became frusttrated and was beginning to drain the whole thing before I learned that it was not good for the pool. So we refilled the pool yesterday and got the ph and CA to the right levels before starting the shocking process. The water is like an olive or army green color now and I can barely see where the floor meets the bottom of the walls. Here is what I am confused about. I have learned from here that when fighting algae that my fc should drop drastically. This hasn't been the case from my testing results. It seems that my Fc haven't moved at all This is what has me confused!!! I thought when fighting algae that the chlorine should be eating up quite rapidly? It seems mine has stayed the same no matter what.
Here are my test results

at 2:30 A.M.
FC 14
CC .5
TA 90
ph 7.5 before I started shocking
CYA 0 (working on this now)

at 7:00 A.M.
FC 15
CC .5
TA 90
ph 7.5
CYA 0

I have 18 x 33 ABG, with 150 sq. ft. Hayward X-Stream Filter, 1.5 Powerflo Pump

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

That is strange. With CYA anywhere near zero, or even at 30 to 50, you should lose chlorine to sunlight fairly to very quickly. If the FC level remains high through the day then something is wrong with your testing reagents or technique. Otherwise it just looks like you have been lucky.

Have you gotten all the debris off the bottom that you possibly can?

Welcome to actually posting on TFP. :-D

Wow you were up early!

Do you have a swcg? Is it on?

You may have everything killed and it's just going to take a while for everything to filter out. Are you running the pump 24/7 during this?

First I do not have a swg. I have a new kit ordered just not for sure when it will be here. The reagents haven't changed color or anything. Yes the pump is being run 24/7

Thanks for your fast respongs

All by the way the test kit I am using is on its third season its the tf-100 kit

I wouldn't be afraid of using the test kit if it's been stored out of the sun and heat.

Sounds like it's time to have a little POP (pool owner patience). You should test at some point during the day to see how much the sun affects the FC and bring it back to shock level. You should see improvement each day.

Keep an eye on the filter pressure and clean it when it rises about 25% above the clean pressure.

If you have an OTO kit (the K-1000 in the TF-100) and enough reagent you can dilute the sample with 2 parts chlorine free water to 1 part pool water and multiply the result by 3. It won't be very accurate but it'll at least allow you to stay at shock level until the new stuff gets there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to follow up I finally started to see Fc drop during the day today. I know a lot of this is due to the sun eating up the chlorine, but finally it seems that pool color is changing some. I was just wondering just had a huge rainstorm this evening is there anything that i should do other than checking the chlorine level?

Re: Help!, I am confused about what to do next.

Just to update,

It looks like the pool is slowly started to clear. I doesn't look like it is turning gray but slowly clearing.
Right now trying to maintain chlorine levels, but is hard since I ran out of reagent. I hope my new supplies come soon because it looks like things are going in the right direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.