Help.. Hurricane Michael Cloudy pool

propjetprop

Gold Supporter
Jan 5, 2018
Douglasville Georgia
Hi all...

Located in North Georgia. We received a ton of rain and wind from the hurricane last night. I woke up to a cloudy pool. When I went to bed the pool was crystal clear, and when I woke up it looked like this.

20181011_143604.jpg

The deck around the pool was flooded with rain water and I am assuming that this is just run off from the yard that got into the pool due to the rain?

Here are my numbers from today:

FC 5
CC 0
PH 8.0+
TA 60
CH 100
CYA 40

Salt 2600ppm

I have the pump running at 2600 RPM 24 hours now, and the polaris running 24 hours.

I need to add 100lbs of salt, should I wait unitl the water is clear again?

Will running the filter fix this cloudy water?

Thanks

Time for SLAM. Just forget about SWG right now and treat it like a manually chlorinated pool. Your CYA is far too low for an SWG pool anyway. You can fix the salt and CYA after the SLAM is over.

dbtgallery.php

Quick question...

I just started the slam... I have the SWG turned off...

This might be a stupid question, but here goes.

ON the pool school Chlorine/CYA chart that gives you your FC slam values, would I go with the SWG or NON SWG chart? I only ask because for the slam I have the SWG turned off?

Thanks

TL;DR: Ignore the salt/SWG for now. Get any organics out with the net. Use more bleach up to your SLAM level as recommended in PoolMath, let the pump/filter do its job. Vacuum tomorrow. Use SLAM levels for non SWG pools, as your SWG is "offline" and out of the equation at this moment.

I'm on US98 right on the coast. Had 112mph gusts knocking all manner of tree parts into the pool. My water looked similar yesterday when Michael finally passed. I scooped out 50# of organic materials (under trees) and added a cup of DE to the skimmer. Added a whole gal of 10% to bump FC to 18. Ran the pump on the genny all last night, which caused the cloudiness that hadn't been filtered to settle in the usual pockets. Vacuumed this morning, had to backwash 4 or five times during because I'd lose so much suction so quickly from all the organic "dust". Upon completion, added another cup of DE to the skimmer.

Power is back now (nice being on a major leg), and now this afternoon it looks all polished like any other day with a few new leaves on the floor. I will continue to run the pump for another full 24h, vacuum again tomorrow, and it oughtta be cake. I usually burn 1ppm/day being in the shade, but so far since last night it's eaten 3ppm. With everything gone, I expect it to level out overnight.

Only really good thing about the hurricane is the "tropical" moisture dumped enough warm water into the pool to bump the temp from 77 back up to 80.

Yes. The runoff contains plenty of organic materials. Do an OCLT. Thats the only way to know for sure. As for myself, I'd run it up to SLAM level first because I'd rather stay ahead of any possible issues than fall behind and try to catch up.

If it passes, no harm no foul and you can let the fc drift back down. Remember anything below your SLAM level in the chart is still safe to swim in. At that point, I'd screw with bringing up CYA, the salt, and getting the SWG running again over the couple days it is drifting down. :)

OCLT passed last night!!! I am guessing that it was just dirt from the yard that ran into the pool due to the rain. The water is much clearer this morning as I have been running the filter and the polaris for 48 hours now on high RPM.

FC is still up at 20 (over did the liquid bleach by a gallon).. So i guess I will let the pump continue to run and the FC to settle back down to normal values. I will leave the SWG off until FC comes back down to normal levels (4-5ppm).

Thanks for all your help pool nerds!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.