HELP! Green Pool after using E-Z Pool last year. Pool Store is not helpful

dejavu

Apr 15, 2011
North Carolina
I switched to E-Z Pool last summer and it was great! My pool sparkled all summer. But when I opened the pool this week, it was a murky green and has an odor. I can't even see the bottom of the pool. The pool store said to add something called "Revive" ($50 bucks!!) and it would clear right up. It didn't. The pool store is in a quandary. They think I need to switch back to chlorine. The suggested that I vacuum the pool to waste and then add another $50 bottle of Revive. This makes no sense to me since Revive didn't do anything the first time. Please help!! Here are my readings:

Total Chlorine: .04
Free Available chlorine: .04
PH: 6.3
Calcium Hardness: 113
CYA: 87
COPPER: 1.1 !!!
Iron: .2
Saturation Index: -1.9

Thank you in advance,

Bridget

Bridget, the EZ Care system is not recommended by TFP, and you can see more discussions about that product on this thread: EZ pool vs Chlorine. In addition, you appear to be using pool store testing which is also going to work against you. None of those pool store bottles will work. You first need to obtain either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit (TF-100 link below), test your own water (very easy) and apply the simply chemicals we advocate at TFP. But you have to want to take ownership and do this yourself. The test kit is step #1, then we can help. But you cannot use pool store and TFP together.

Why are you so surprised about your copper level? That is what EZ pool puts in your pool, says right on the side of the bucket.

Anyway, good luck with your situation.

Texas, what do you mean by this? thanks
Unfortunately, the pool store industry sells a myriad of products with names and labels designed to pull us in with an expectation of crystal clear water. It simply doesn't work that way. We ALL here at TFP went through that same experience. Water turns green from algae (green and/or cloudiness) simply because of poor sanitation and improper chlorine/stabilizer levels. It's one of the basic concepts always emphasized here at TFP. It's not difficult, but requires a dedication to test our own water and dispense our own chemicals. Those bottles at the store (Pool Perfect, Phos-Free, etc) are Band-Aid fixes at best. Once a pool is maintained consistently with TFP methods/chemicals, owners realize how much nicer their water looks, and so does their pocketbook.

Please take a look at the Recommended Chemicals link below in my sig for details about what you need to use for your water.

Thank you for your reply. I messed up. (The pool store talked me into E-Z pool last year and I fell for it) I am ready to take ownership. My question now is, will it damage my liner or anything if I switch to chlorine since some of the E-Z pool chemicals are still in it (the pool guy put more in it when he opened the pool last week), and also, how do I get the copper out of the pool? Thank you!!

Glad to hear you are in charge. That's perfect. As for copper, well, unfortunately the only way to remove copper from water is to exchange the water. Since your copper reading is 1.1, that is well over the 0.3 recommended acceptable level. But since your CYA appears to high as well, this might be a perfect time to do a water exchange - at least 50% or so. Even if you don't get all the copper out, if you lower it enough it's easier to manage. While there's nothing to stop you from starting the water exchange now, you will need one of the recommended test kits when it's full again. You don't want to trust the pool store's CYA reading. From this point on Bridget, it needs to be all YOU. :) I promise it's not that hard to test your own water, and we'll be glad to walk you through it if you get stuck. If you order the Taylor K-2006, make it the 2006C - "C" = more reagents. If you go for the TF-100 (I recommend that one), get the XL Option (more reagents). With either kit, also order the "Speed Stir". HUGE difference in mixing. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.