Help! Frozen pool!

jatx

Nov 19, 2019
Austin, TX
Hi All,

We are having multiple days of below freezing here in Austin. I had our pump going for the first few days, but the power went off so, I drained the equipment (pump, filter) and put blankets over the pipes. The power is now back on but we have about a 1/2 inch of ice on our pool. I put the plugs back into the pump/filter and tried to start it up again with warm water to prime the pump, but it didn't work (just air).

I've broken up the ice, and there is no ice in the skimmer. We have a couple more days of freezing temps left.

It is a 4' in-ground fiberglass pool.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

DFWPalm

Feb 15, 2021
Frisco, TX
Woke up at 4am this morning to find the power out. Ugh. Pool was frozen by then. I loosen all drain plugs, removed are valve on the filter. Skimmer's on not frozen. Put two sump pumps in the pool to move the water, maybe it will help. Any other advice from all experts? In ground pool and hot tub.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Moving water within the pool I don't think will do anything. You need water moving in the piping.

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Browse the threads from the past day or so with people in TX freaking out about the cold temps and freeze issues. You will likely find your answers here. If the equipment and pipes above ground are drained, the skimmer would be the only area of concern for freeze damage.

Reactions: jatx

jatx

Nov 19, 2019
Austin, TX
Browse the threads from the past day or so with people in TX freaking out about the cold temps and freeze issues. You will likely find your answers here. If the equipment and pipes above ground are drained, the skimmer would be the only area of concern for freeze damage.

Awesome. Thanks so much.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.