Help!!!! Do i have to drain it?

cjmrdm

Feb 1, 2013
Peoria Arizona
Pool Size
Hello! I have attached my most recent results from Leslie’s. I go in vacation on Saturday for 2 weeks and wondering if I have to drain it? And, if so, do I do it now or after vacation?

This weekend , before these results, I added 32 oz of Algaecide. 24 hours later I cleaned the DE filter grids. I then added about a gallon of acid throughout the day and shock. I still have some green in my pool. I can’t seem to brush it off though. I also have some purple on the basket filter on the cleaner line.

Leslie’s says my only option really is to drain and refill. They also say to do a chlorine or acid wash. I don’t have time for all this before vacation. Can I just drain it myself and refill it?
TIA

Attachments

• 9826EFE4-85BE-478D-A78D-BF2CA8491CD6.jpeg
    9826EFE4-85BE-478D-A78D-BF2CA8491CD6.jpeg
    483.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
By now you probably know how we feel about free store testing. :( But if those results are even close to being correct, you have a lot of water to exchange. The same place that was happy to sell you pucks and bags of shock are responsible for that high CYA. Yes, you can do it yourself. Temps are getting hot and doing an exchange this time of year has to be planned carefully and quickly as you don't want plaster exposed to direct AZ UV form the sun. Whether you have a need to do an acid wash or the time to do it comes into question (scale or algae staining), but no doubt that CYA needs to be lowered down to about 60-70. Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info as that will help with the responses you receive.

By now you probably know how we feel about free store testing. :( But if those results are even close to being correct, you have a lot of water to exchange. The same place that was happy to sell you pucks and bags of shock are responsible for that high CYA. Yes, you can do it yourself. Temps are getting hot and doing an exchange this time of year has to be planned carefully and quickly as you don't want plaster exposed to direct AZ UV form the sun. Whether you have a need to do an acid wash or the time to do it comes into question (scale or algae staining), but no doubt that CYA needs to be lowered down to about 60-70. Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info as that will help with the responses you receive.
Thank you for your reply! I started to drain it this morning. I put my de filter into backwash, turned the drain to close the skimmer, took put the auto cleaner so it just pulls from the main drains. It appeared to be working fine until the pump just stopped with an “alarm” on it that says “ priming error timeout”. Now, I’m lost. I have a spa attached. Does this have anything to do with it? 50AC3F1D-95EC-4DC3-AA85-0F6F5636962B.jpeg

Attachments

• A3302394-CCCB-471F-8C57-263AF1E6E89E.jpeg
    A3302394-CCCB-471F-8C57-263AF1E6E89E.jpeg
    577.3 KB · Views: 5
I am draining my pool. I have an in ground 10-15k pool. Pentair de filter, Pentair inteliflo variable speed pump. I took off the cleaner, and turn the skimmer off so to only drain from main pool drains. I put it to backwash mode and turned it in. It sounds different. I feel something is not right. It says it priming and there is not much water coming through the pump, which i was told us not good. Then after awhile it turned off by itself and said it was a priming alarm. It was timed out. After awhile it came back on all on its own. It just keeps saying priming on the screen. Is all this normal or what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 97301AD3-1AB6-4D45-A9CB-4015E8B23A63.jpeg
    97301AD3-1AB6-4D45-A9CB-4015E8B23A63.jpeg
    577.3 KB · Views: 4
  • BF1A5539-89D6-4AD0-8031-8048AADEE3CA.jpeg
    BF1A5539-89D6-4AD0-8031-8048AADEE3CA.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 4
Sounds like there may be a water suction issue coming from the drain. Are you the original pool owner? I'm wondering if the drain(s) are actually serviceable or perhaps have a blockage. Well, I think you mentioned going on vacation soon, so if you can't backwash the water out, you might have to get or rent a sump pump. Minus the rental fee, a good sump pump might be faster for you anyways.

I don't think the backwash valve is intended for long continuous draining. It's simply to reverse the flow of what's been caught by the filter and to expel some of the DE on the grids with it. For draining, you're much better off with a utility or sump pump. You can rent one, but for practically the same amount of money or just a shade more you can buy your own to have on hand whenever needed. I bought this one from Amazon and it works great. For faster draining, don't use the garden hose (3/4") attachment. Grab a 1.25" female threaded coupler and use a discharge hose or a vacuum hose. It will drain pretty darn fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.