Help!! Cut hole too big for my wide mouth skimmer in my intex pool!! Freaking out!! $4000

When I installed my pool, I literally missed almost every screw from the skimmer faceplate to the body of the skimmer on the back. I.e. the screws were not engaged in the skimmer on the outside. When I detached the faceplate and skimmer to re-attach, I noticed the liner had slipped and was drooping down just under the skimmer. I cut a straight piece of vinyl patch and put it straight across the "droop" adding about 3-4 inches of new pool liner. I then placed my skimmer and faceplate and drilled the screws right threw the patch on the bottom (making sure they were engaged in the skimmer on the outside of the pool this time) and it worked. It has been 3 years and I haven't noticed any leaks. I will probably go ahead and replace the liner next year. I know it's really early, and this liner should last for years, but I do have salt water and I am worried about the wall rusting. So Yes, you would be surprised what can be accomplished with a good patch job. The glue they include with the patch kits chemically bonds the patch to the liner basically becoming one piece.

I would do something similar to what Ant did. I would put a strip of patch so that at least an inch of pool liner and patch overlap on both sides of the opening on all four sides. You can split the butterfly gasket into two halves and tape it in place on the pool on both sides of the opening, then attach the skimmer. After the skimmer is in place trim the excess liner out of the opening without removing the skimmer. You could also completely patch the opening inside and out and install the skimmer on another section of the pool.
C9D0EC7F-404D-4C10-AE50-FDCB214BF6A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.