HELP! Cloudy Pool here!!

jmw_man

Aug 4, 2018
Dallas
So, I'm not exactly new, I'm a 9 year veteran of maintaining my own pool, along with the help of staff at 2 different Crown Pools and two different Leslie's Pool Supplies in the Dallas area.

For the first 6 or 7 years after I bought my house with the pre-existing above ground 25' x 12' (approximate) doughboy pool with the sand dollar (SD-35) filter and 1 HP motor, I was able to keep my pool water crystal clear.

For the last 3 years or so, it's been proving much more difficult. I've been hit with algae all 3 summers I believe. The first time the pump impeller broke, then it took a while to get a replacement, then the second time the pump housing broke, took a while again, then the motor broke, took awhile to get another. Each year I struggled to filter out the white cloudy water, it took longer and longer and longer for it to clear up. This year, I feel like I'm going on 2 months of white cloudy. The storms aren't helpful, and the overhanging tree limbs aren't helpful.

The first thing I need to figure out is backwash frequency. There was a time when I was doing it daily, and all the pool stores said to wait for the pressure to build up, but I have never seen my pressure climb more than 1 psi above the starting pressure of 16 psi. Right now, if I turn it off, and turn it back on, it spews cloudy water into the pool. I just rebuild my filter a month ago with new sand. I'm not sure what the issue is all of a sudden this year. In previous years, I have to say that when the pool water was cloudy, I was having more success when backwashing daily, but the pool guys swore against it, but I'm not seeing any improvement this year when just trying to let the pressure build up, it never builds up.

more to come later, need to head to the grocery store.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Welcome to the forum. My first guess is a defective pressure gauge. Cheap enough to replace and see. Does pressure on it drop to zero when pump is off? May be kinda hard to tell if it only rises to one!

jmw_man

Aug 4, 2018
Dallas
Welcome to the forum. My first guess is a defective pressure gauge. Cheap enough to replace and see. Does pressure on it drop to zero when pump is off? May be kinda hard to tell if it only rises to one!
It rises by one from a starting pressure of 16 psi over time. So, today it's 17 psi. I don't think the gauge is defective.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
There's a lot more info we'll need from you to help with the cloudiness issue. For example:
- How are you testing your water? Pool stores? If so, that's issue #1. You need to test your own water for best results (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C link below).
- How are you chlorinating? Bleach, tabs, bags, SWG, etc?
- What do you have there? Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It will help tremendously.
- Did you add regular pool sand (#20 silica) to your filter when you changed it?
- Does the pressure gauge fall to zero when turned off?
- Water test results... we need to see them. Preferably from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006.

jmw_man

Aug 4, 2018
Dallas
I'm using a combination of test strips and pool stores. The Pool store I'm going to now is using an automated computerized test called ClearCare Expert.
Here's today's results:
FC 7.11
TC 7.44
CC .33
PH 7.9
Total Alkalinity (input) 136
Total Alkalinity (adjusted) 108
Calcium Hardness 414
CYA 83
Copper .3
Phosphates 0
Saturation Index 1.3

I maintain 2 tabs in the float, and i shock, right now with the calcium chloride shock to keep the CYA from going any higher. I'm trying to maintain about a 10 ppm FC until the white cloudy water has been filtered.

When I recently rebuilt my filter, I used regular pool filter sand.

Yes, the pressure gauge falls to zero when turned off.

This year as I've been tackling multiple issues, people keep telling me that I need to avoid backwashing so frequently and wait till the pressure increases. The pressure on the gauge was only 17 psi (1 psi more than the starting pressure) and the backwash water was milky white for a solid 2 minutes. The last backwash was a week and a half ago I believe, can't remember for sure. Anyways, I'm starting to think that when the pool is as cloudy as it is, I need to be backwashing more frequently. As for the pressure, never in my life have I ever seen the pressure gauge more than 17 psi.