HELP - Clorine Lock

Wingnut77

Jun 22, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I'm battling chlorine lock (above ground pool approx 14K gallons) with the assistance of a Leslie pool tech. I'm a longtime pool owner and long time Leslie customer.. 2 wks ago I had a good total chlorine reading but no free chlorine. I took the recommended steps to balance the other chemicals first and then SUPER SHOCKING (4x chlorine at one time) to help break the lock. My latest water analysis now shows Free Chlorine = .28, Total Chlorine = .28 and all other chemicals (ph, Alk, Hardness, CYA) all within range. So we thought we had fixed the CL Lock issue.. Also, pool is crystal clear, no visual issues or smells and very low usage (just 2 retirees and a few adult beverages daily).. So the recommended next step was to shock the pool with a normal amount of chlorine (normal for a weekly shock treatment), so last night (9pm ET) I did so. Very much to my surprise, this morning 6amET my test strip did not register any chlorine reading at all (Total or Free) or so low that the test strip could not detect. So before I head back to the Leslie pool store for yet another water analysis I thought I'd try TFP forum first.. I did see in one of your you-tube videos that draining the pool and refilling was found to fix the chlorine lock issue. any thoughts on next steps and if draining is it... how much water should I drain? I'm hoping it's no more that maybe 1/3. THX Wingnut77

Welcome to the forum :wave: :wave:
TFP teaches that "chlorine lock" is a myth and doesn't exist. Lot's of posts on that subject if you search it.

TFP teaches that only two things can consume chlorine you put in your pool.........sunlight (UV) and organics (almost always algae and it can be invisible).

So by adding your chlorine in the evening and testing early in the AM, you have eliminated UV as a source of chlorine loss. That leads to the inescapable conclusion that organics are consuming your chlorine.

TFP would love to have become a follower of our methods but it may require some hard decision for you.

1. Stay out of the pool store
2. Chlorine lock simply doesn't exist
3. We NEVER trust test results from strips. We insist on drops based testing that you perform your self.

I may have lost you with the above but if you're still here, I suggest you Please read "Pool Care Basics" up in Pool School. If it makes sense to you, ask questions here and we'll all help you manage your pool the TFP way.

TFP teaches that "chlorine lock" is a myth and doesn't exist. Lot's of posts on that subject if you search it.

TFP teaches that only two things can consume chlorine you put in your pool.........sunlight (UV) and organics (almost always algae and it can be invisible).

So by adding your chlorine in the evening and testing early in the AM, you have eliminated UV as a source of chlorine loss. That leads to the inescapable conclusion that organics are consuming your chlorine.

TFP would love to have become a follower of our methods but it may require some hard decision for you.

1. Stay out of the pool store
2. Chlorine lock simply doesn't exist
3. We NEVER trust test results from strips. We insist on drops based testing that you perform your self.

I may have lost you with the above but if you're still here, I suggest you Please read "Pool Care Basics" up in Pool School. If it makes sense to you, ask questions here and we'll all help you manage your pool the TFP way.
LOL.. Thanks for the candid feedback! I just recently retired and now I'm going to Pool School as you suggested! More questions to come.. but for now, I'm packing my book bag and heading to pool school to see if old dogs can still learn new tricks!! Thx Wingnut77

Reactions: jeffchap

Once you clear your mind of the pool store "fog," there'll be plenty of room in there for the few new tricks you'll need to grasp to become a TFP Pro! Like you, I am retired and came to TFP in exasperation. The folks on here are truly amazing in their knowledge and their willingness to take you under their wing to help. They have certainly helped me many times over. Just acquire a good test kit, keep an open mind, and ask questions (there's no dumb ones!) You'll soon be on your way to simplistic pool care, not to mention wads of unspent money in your wallet-simply by staying out of the pool store.

I am always amazed that there are no ego issues among the TFP experts and members, no bashing, no humiliation, no heavy-handed sales pitch, etc. They don't sell anything to earn money. They survive on our donations. This place is totally different from any site/forum you've ever visited, I'll bet.

I wish you well on your journey. Keep us informed. We love to see the progression as folks become "the Pool Boy" and actually enjoy it.

I am always amazed that there are no ego issues among the TFP experts and members, no bashing, no humiliation, no heavy-handed sales pitch, etc
ghall9262,
Those are VERY nice words to see.....Thank you.

In fact, there is a very nice group of folks on here. Many veteran "pool nerds" who know their stuff and are willing to help.

Also, there is a Moderator group (about 15 of us) that have cobbled this place together starting in 2007. The Mods are all truly involved in the content of this forum and every day we have discussions about how to make it better.............for sure, it is a work in progress

Reactions: ghall6292
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.