Help..brown dust every day! New Salt water pool

klb123

Jun 15, 2019
ri
Help...what could this brown dust be and how to get rid of it? I have a brand inground new pool with a salt water filtration system it has been open for 4 weeks. The water is crystal clear and chemicals/salt lever good. I have a sandstone liner and in the shallow end you can really see patches/aeras of brownish dust. It is not spotty or dark, just a faint brown film. I use a Polaris vacume every day but this does not pick it up. However once I brush, it disapates and is gone. But comes right back, I have to brush every day. The dust is also on the side walls of the deep end. Any suggestions to get rid of this?

You have a test kit?

What is your water chemistry?

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Please put details of your pool in your signature. It helps us help you. What filter do you have?

Sounds more like algae than dust to me...

You say your chemicals are ok, but you failed to provide us with any number, so it is impossible for us to tell..

If you have not already done so, please read this.. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Than I would suggest that you run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.
I took a water sample to the pool store two weeks ago and they said all levels were good. I will take another sample tomorrow and keep the results:). salt level is 3100.

We don't have much confidence in store tests.

If you really want to take control of the pool, you need to get a good test kit.

Do you have a picture of the dust?

Does it have any yellow color?

I took a water sample to the pool store two weeks ago and they said all levels were good. I will take another sample tomorrow and keep the results:). salt level is 3100.

We put no confidence in pool store testing. It has proven to be too inaccurate. You need to get your own test kit to properly manage your pool. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006c. See Test Kits Compared

And I suggest you get the XL Option which will give you more reagents to use during the SLAM Process you likely need to clear the algae and the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer which will make testing easier and more accurate.

Even if pool store testing was known to be accurate (it's not), a test from 2 weeks ago is meaningless today. Said test was meaningless even 13 days ago actually.

As others have noted, you need your own proper test kit.

Reactions: Shirker
Help...what could this brown dust be and how to get rid of it? I have a brand inground new pool with a salt water filtration system it has been open for 4 weeks. The water is crystal clear and chemicals/salt lever good. I have a sandstone liner and in the shallow end you can really see patches/aeras of brownish dust. It is not spotty or dark, just a faint brown film. I use a Polaris vacume every day but this does not pick it up. However once I brush, it disapates and is gone. But comes right back, I have to brush every day. The dust is also on the side walls of the deep end. Any suggestions to get rid of this?
We don't have much confidence in store tests.

If you really want to take control of the pool, you need to get a good test kit.

Do you have a picture of the dust?

Does it have any yellow color?
mScreenshot_20190909-165332_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190909-165332_Gallery.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190909-165323_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-165323_Gallery.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20190909-165332_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-165332_Gallery.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 17
klb123,

The "dust" is surely algae.....alive or dead I am not quite sure but the advice remains the same as what you are reading above. YOu need one of the test kits we have faith in and then you will need to SLAM the pool.

While you are waiting on your kit, you can put some chlorine in the pool daily but we need to know the size of your pool to tell you how much chlorine.

Reactions: wireform
Add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine each evening with the pump running.

If you use plain, non scented, not splashless, no Cloromax household bleach, add 1 1/2 jugs per day.

Add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine each evening with the pump running.

If you use plain, non scented, not splashless, no Cloromax household bleach, add 1 1/2 jugs per day.
thanks...will start that process tomorrow and I am ordering a test kit. I'm in New England and probably only have a few weeks left before we close the pool. Hopefully this will take care of my issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.