Sorry I’m new at this and apparently replaced my message with the pictures.
We are first time pool owners and are in need of advice on backfilling the pool that sits on a slope. There is about a 48-50” cut that was made in the hillside to level the pool. We have no idea as to what we should do with the 12” space between the pool walls and the hill. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated!
Steve

Put in a retaining wall using the concrete blocks from Home Depot. Would have been easier before the pool went in, but can still be done.

The soil looks reasonably workable. I would consider cutting that down and sloping in such a way that runoff water goes around your pool and not to it
Thank you for the advice! I am a true beginner and rookie at these things. Can you dumb this down as simple as possible? Feel free to explain it to me like I was a 5 yr old. I want to learn and everyone I ask (locally) is good to say what their idea is, and it’s appreciated, but I want to learn what and how to do it.

If that pool is rated for burial you could throw a drain in there and backfill with clean stone. A retaining wall is ideal but is twice as hard now and theres alot of dirt to move to get it in. If you have enough yard to lose the dirt dig it back and slope it up on less than a 45degree angle that's the cheapest route. Doesn't look like you have bad soil or groundwater issues. A guy with a mini excavator could straighten that out ready for grass seed in 2 to 3 hours tops. That would be my route. Many ways to skin a cat with this

Reactions: Jen Martin
You know what I imagine? (of course you don't....but I'll tell ya!) I see the dirt put back in the empty space and top soil on top with lots of hostas planted around that pool. Perhaps a couple types of hosta for the color variation. But it would make a gorgeous "base" for the pool. IMO, of course. :)

Maddie :flower:

If that pool is rated for burial you could throw a drain in there and backfill with clean stone. A retaining wall is ideal but is twice as hard now and theres alot of dirt to move to get it in. If you have enough yard to lose the dirt dig it back and slope it up on less than a 45degree angle that's the cheapest route. Doesn't look like you have bad soil or groundwater issues. A guy with a mini excavator could straighten that out ready for grass seed in 2 to 3 hours tops. That would be my route. Many ways to skin a cat with this
That sounds like a wonderful option! Is this something I contact any kind of landscaping company for ? Thank you again for the suggestion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a similar situation when we dug down to level with our pool...
...I just put some leftover wall foam against the pool wall and filled in with dirt! The cut out where the side supports are is now filled in level with the rest of the yard, and to the right it grades down so the rain runs around the pool as duraleigh suggests in his post.

Last edited:
...update... turns out this is much more of a job that we would have imagined and we were definitely not prepared for what this pool would require. We have had a few people out here with bids from 7k-10k to put in a retaining wall on the high side 4ft. which does not include a small wall that will be need on the low side 1ft.

I wish I would have known about this site before we started this project, I think I would have been much more informed that the zero detail we were given from the pool company.

Reactions: Amandajo50
...update... turns out this is much more of a job that we would have imagined and we were definitely not prepared for what this pool would require. We have had a few people out here with bids from 7k-10k to put in a retaining wall on the high side 4ft. which does not include a small wall that will be need on the low side 1ft.

I wish I would have known about this site before we started this project, I think I would have been much more informed that the zero detail we were given from the pool company.

Can you please post pictures of this pool from ground level. We can get a better idea of how it looks to the eye rather than these high up pics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.