Help and guidance

May 19, 2009
Not new to pool ownership by a long ways, have designed my last 3 pools, done salt, ozone, sand and paper filters, but just moved into a new home and am faced with a whole nother set of issues:

Largest pool I have ever owned. Size to follow. Built in '75, diving pool, about 9' deep in deep end which is over half the size of the pool. My guess: 40 x 15 x 6 (average depth)

2, TWO, count'um 2 wall jets about 3/4 inch in diameter...?????? 1 skimmer, 1 suction point for pool cleaner, that is IT! How this pool stays clear here in the desert (Scottsdale, AZ, where we have just had 12 days in a row of 100+ temps, today it will be 95!

ALL pool equip NEEDS to be replaced, its original. 1 hp motor for 2 jets, skimmer and pool vac (Hayward ultra vac). You cannot run all 2/3 at the same time, not enough power it seems. Pump basket is BRONZE about 5 inches in dia, maybe would hold a softball. PVC piping is about 1 in ID.

Pool was done by 'Anthony Pools Inc'.

I can get exact size and pics. Need guidance on EVERYTHING and everything to be replaced. I am a 'long-term' thinker, and I only have one chance to do it right the first time.

Pool works, is clean and algae free, but the equipment is living on borrowed time and leaks like a screen door.

Pool future: Replace plaster with Pebble-Tec.

I am listening, thank you... :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP!

It is possible to run a pool with one skimmer and one return, that is what my pool has. Mine isn't quite that large, but still large. My main problem is when the skimmer gets clogged with leaves, which can happen quickly in the fall.

One of the big questions is how much money do you want to spend. You can add a second skimmer, though it will be expensive. It would even be possible to add a main drain, though that would be ridiculously expensive. I recommend re-plumbing everything if you can, but it won't be cheap. The more you are willing to spend, the more choices you have.

The neat thing about those old bronze pumps is that they never overheat, you can run them dry forever. Not that you should keep it or anything.

Thank you...Living out here in the desert and not having any trees in the pool area 1 skimmer seems more than adequate. That said, I have never seen skimmer like this (internally), imagine your typical pool skimmer then on the inside where the opening for the suction is create a raised section that the skimmer basket sits on. At first it may appear to work, however what quickly happens is the opening gather debris and it does not take much and it just no longer works as it is now clogged. This occurs with a few (5/6) leaves, piece of paper or whatever. I will hit the stores today trying to find a different shaped basket to remedy this.

I need to replace the filter unit. I have tried several types and came back to sand for my last pool and it appears to work quite well with few drawbacks. ?????

Motor: Impressed with the new Pentair Intelli system and the cost savings. That said its a $1k motor and I can buy a LOT of Haywards for $1k. ??????

HP: Currently 1 HP motor but just not pushing or sucking water very well. On the other had, piping is small. Would going to a 1.5 HP motor be wise??????

In my research it sounds like the 'Pool Frog' might be a waste of $? Neighbor just replaced his salt unit with the 'mineral' Natures's something or another seemed inexpensive but need to replace mineral 'pill' a few times a year. ??????

$$$: Being the long term thinker and engineer I am, live has taught me that wise investments now pay today and later, cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap. $ invested properly in my pool today will pay dividends for years to come. That said the investment must be wise and meet the wise return of $. Adding another drain or skimmer would be good but just fails the wise investment test as the pool is clear and clean now and I assume has been for over 35 years. ????????

The IntelliFlo pump can save you a lot of money in the long run, especially if you are in an area with high electrical rates. Second choice would be a two speed pump, which won't save as much but is still much better than a single speed. A modern 3/4 HP full rated pump is probably plenty for that pool, or a 1 HP full rated dual speed. If you don't go for the IntelliFlo, everyone seems to be happy with the WhisperFlo.

Everyone has their favorite kind of filter. There is no clearly better kind between sand, DE, and cartridge. They each have advantages and disadvantages. The best thing is probably to go with what you like or are familiar with.

Eventually, replacing all the plumbing becomes a good idea. Replacing the pipe under the deck can get expensive however, so it is best put off until you really need to do it or are replacing the deck anyway.

frustratedpoolmom will probably be flying into your neighborhood soon to beat the nature2 system out of your neighbors ground. she has good stories about the frog system. overall, this forum will show you that those alternative sanitizers cause more problems than they fix, and chlorine is by far your best and cheapest option. while frustratedpoolmom is on the way, here's a little bit of info on mineral systems (nature2, frog, etc)
newsletter.php?view_newsletter=10

SavageSun said:
In my research it sounds like the 'Pool Frog' might be a waste of $? Neighbor just replaced his salt unit with the 'mineral' Natures's something or another seemed inexpensive but need to replace mineral 'pill' a few times a year. ??????

reebok said:
frustratedpoolmom will probably be flying into your neighborhood soon to beat the nature2 system out of your neighbors ground. she has good stories about the frog system. overall, this forum will show you that those alternative sanitizers cause more problems than they fix, and chlorine is by far your best and cheapest option. while frustratedpoolmom is on the way, here's a little bit of info on mineral systems (nature2, frog, etc)
newsletter.php?view_newsletter=10

My reputation precedes me. :mrgreen:

Save your money, the Frog/Nature 2/ any sort of ionizer or mineral sytem are not worth the headaches and problems and they are the big money makers for the Pool Stealers....the replacement mineral cartridges (in store) are like $90 every six months, the froggie uses trichlor bacpacs that run $20 every 2-4 weeks... A big pain in the b**T I tell ya.

After spending hundreds if not thousands in pool store chems trying to fix the troubles...I found TFP, adopted BBB, and last year I spent all of $50 for the entire season, and my pool only required bleach. This year I had to add CYA for the first time since 2007. That lowered the PH a bit, so I think I'll aerate (free :wink: ).

Stick to BBB, you can't go wrong. :wink: :goodjob:

Thank you all and I am learning about BBB...I have ALWAYS believed the pool business is set up to separate you from your money and to continue doing so. The fact that in spite of all the warnings on the product labels they rarely tell you the actual contents. Most stuff has some name a marketing guy dreamed up. I did discover that baking soda is only a few bucks for 10 lbs of food grade at the local Costco.

Then there is the PhosFree which runs about $40 per bottle, not sure what that is, but it is a MAJOR seller out here in the desert, in fact at this time of the year its hard to even find it in stock at the pool supply stores.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.