Help a rookie

Ses76

Jul 13, 2017
MA
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone wants to help walk me through the process of getting my pool cleared up after opening?? I had a pool company open it today (of note, this is my third year with the pool, last year I bought the taylor test kit and managed things mostly successfully on my own - next year I hope to open on my own but baby steps!). The company put a bunch of chemicals in around 5hr ago. How soon should I test with my kit?? Anyone up to help me through this process so I don't run up to the pool store for them to analyze and sell me a bunch of stuff :ROFLMAO:.... My kids want to swim and don't care that they can't see the bottom of the pool! LOL
THANK YOU!!!!

I have the taylor 100... Should I test now even though they just put stuff in today? I've read the ABCs but not sure about when just opening. So is it always SLAM when you open? I'm sorry for my ignorance !!
I'll got test now and report back..THANK YOU!!

If you close the tfp way it doesn’t have to be! Did the pool openers leave u a list of what they added / charged u for?

No list! I don't know what closing TFP way means :sneaky: but I suspect that didn't happen!

Here are my numbers from now (and yes TF-100)

FF = 6
CC = 3.5
pH= 8.2
TA = 70
CH = 175 (but pool is fiberglass)
CYA I never couldn't see the dot (but I have a autocoder that I use whenever we don't use the pool so don't feel so strongly about the CYA - correct me if I'm wrong here please)

I'm in Mass. - not sure if that matters but it's still chilly here and I don't think my SWG will work well until the water warms up a bit (again, correct me if I'm wrong!)

Off to brush up on the Overnight Chlorine Loss test!

THANK YOU ALL.... I loved doing my tests and I'm so grateful to be able to manage this without the pool company!

Reactions: Mdragger88
CC of 3.5 indicates you likley need to do the SLAM Process

Raise your CYA to 30 using the sock method to add stabilizer. The follow the SLAM Process step by step.

Get a stock of liquid chlorine.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I wonder if they added stabilizer to your skimmer? If they did who knows how much but you may see remnants of the granules?

I don't see any in the skimmer basket. I need to get some stabilizer tomorrow...Literally the only chemical I don't have. Should I worry about the pH at this point?? I'm going to do the Overnight Test tonight but I'm guess I'll need to SLAM... I'll start that fun tomorrow!

If you have some muriatic acid you can lower your pH to around 7.6.

Use PoolMath to calculate doses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dry acid has sulfates that are not good for your SWG.

Read Dry Acid
Thanks Allen! I've read this and won't be using it after this but don't have anything else ... pool store people directed me to these products. It's unbelievable that there is such carelessness and so little concern for people and their major investments!! I can't even understand!!!

Hi again everyone...

I checked this morning and lost 3.5 on my FC (now 2.5) and CC was the same (3.5). I will begin the SLAM today and keep at it throughout the day. My understanding is I can check and add pretty much every hour? I hope so. I want this pool clear for these kiddies who are all over me!!!

I was reading here about adding CYA and came across people using "actual" skimmer socks to add it. These look genius to me.... but why have I not read about them before?? There must be a reason they are not part of the general recommendation? I read about them skimming pollen and we're about to be covered in yellow over here so if they work for that I'm thinking I need them....tell me why I'm wrong.
THANK YOU!

Well I just did something wrong. I have no idea what happened but somehow when I went to pool math app I clicked the SLAM button and it said to add 5 gallons of bleach. We added 4 and I said let me triple check and the number then said 2 gallons :oops:. I'm so puzzled about this...I know for sure it said 5 the first time. So confused.
Does anyone know what the effect will be of adding too much bleach??

What % bleach are you using?

Putting in the wrong % chlorine in PoolMath will give you the wrong gallons to add .

Not a big prob with your FG pool.

Did you lower your pH to 7.2 before adding the liquid chlorine?

Test your FC and see where you are.

What % bleach are you using?

Putting in the wrong % chlorine in PoolMath will give you the wrong gallons to add .

Not a big prob with your FG pool.

Did you lower your pH to 7.2 before adding the liquid chlorine?

Test your FC and see where you are.
I’m using 6%. Somehow something must’ve been entered incorrectly earlier. I added the bleach about an hour ago so I’m going to check now. I’ll report back.
I did lower the pH 7.2 when I started. I’m adding the CYA now and this will take forever!!! I have it in a nylon knee high and keep squeezing and squeezing. This is only the first 3 of like 11 pounds I need to add. Ugh!
THANK YOU!!!

CYA can take a day or two to dissolve. Manage the SLAM FC, add the CYA, and brush the pool. That’s your pool maintenance routine for the weekend.

Well I got the 7lb dissolved by sitting there squeezing the sock for an hour plus.... I'm impatient I guess! I didn't realize I should just have let it sit for a day or two but that makes so much more sense...?‍♀️ I'm still supposed to add 4 more pounds but need a trip to the store for that.

I checked the FC about an hour ago and it was 14....oops!!! So I should just wait and check again it a while?? I really appreciate your help with this and answering all my niggling questions !

Why oops?

Assume you have CYA 30 so SLAM FC is 12. Maintain FC of 12.

Add the CYA when you get it and keep squeezing. You are doing great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.