Hello TFP Community!

McElvain

May 27, 2020
Missouri
With my background in nuclear chemistry, my dad asked for me to look into swimming pool chemistry. I thought, "Why not? How bad could this possibly be?". I spent couple days reading articles about the preferred chemistry specifications, reasons behind those recommended chemistry specs., pros and cons of different chemicals, and dove deep into the understanding of the reactions involved inside the pool to understand how a chemical effected overall chemistry. I got a lot of info this website, Taylor's testing and treatment guide, and from google scholar articles. So, thank you TFP Community for the great reads.

Fast forward a bit, little did I know that by showing my dad what he has been doing wrong has led to him to spread the word about my help. So, another friend of his asked if I could help and then another and another. I have only "helped" one of those friends (More about that in another future thread) but I'm scared to start helping people because I don't want to be held liable for their actions, should they do something to ruin their pool in some way. I'm okay with volunteering my time to help them sample and understand their pool's chemistry but I'm no professional in the pool industry. Is there something I can do to protect myself in the case that one of these friends goes and dumps an absurd amount of dichlor into the pool, bleaching their pool liner, and suing me because I told them that their FC was lower than what is recommended?

Last edited:

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Welcome to TFP!

I think the Good Samaritan laws would apply. :) Only help those you know truly value your generosity and send the rest here. Or send them all here. That's fine too. We'll weed out the ones who want to learn. The others will continue to visit their LPS.

McElvain

May 27, 2020
Missouri
Welcome to TFP!

I think the Good Samaritan laws would apply. :) Only help those you know truly value your generosity and send the rest here. Or send them all here. That's fine too. We'll weed out the ones who want to learn. The others will continue to visit their LPS.
Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, the Good Samaritan Law of Missouri only applies to health care professionals providing emergency care at the scene of an emergency or accident. However, I'll be sure to recommend that they all check out this website so they can grow and learn as pool owners.

If I have any other questions, I'll be sure to ask TFP!

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Clearly I was mostly joking but that’s a pretty narrow definition by MO. Often it’s medical care by anyone.

TFP is not about telling people what they want to hear, but what they need to hear said kindly. We think that’s a good combination that folks you send here would appreciate.