hello i am a newbie i would like some info on salt water pool

mikeyj2020

Apr 13, 2021
la vernia texas
we have a 13500 gal pool and we have just drained cleaned and refilled we have added roughly about 280# of salt. we checked our chemicals and every things is within specs except the chlorine and stabilizer. pool is clear. we have added 1 gal liquid stabilizer and roughly 3# granulated stabilizer and have been following that with several bags of granule chlorine and 1 gallon of liquid shock yesterday and today it is showing to be low. i am not sure what i am missing here to get this corrected. we had water sample checked before adding any chemicals and the only thing that was high was metals and we treated for that. from what research i have done the salt generator shouldnt even be used unless your chlorine levels are ok. i just cant seem to get them to stay up. i am not to sure the salt cell is working correctly but i am gonna address that once i can get the chemicals in check. any help i can get would be very much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum!
How are you testing your pool water chemistry? Can you post a full set of test results from your own test kit?
1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in your pool volume will add 7.4 FC. The stabilizer you have added should add just over 50 ppm CYA. So the FC should be holding with a loss of 2 or 3 ppm per day. If you are losing more than that, you most likely have algae.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

How are you getting those test results?

What kind of 'shock' are you using? Dichlor or Cal Hypo?

WE ARE USING TEST STRIPS WE ALSO HAVE THE OTHER STYLE WITH THE DROPS WHICH ONE IS BEST TO USE? IT IS A PLASTER POOL AND HAS A SAND FILTER. AS FAR AS THE SHOCK I AM NOT SURE WE USED THE POWDER FROM LESLIES AND LIQUID FROM HOME DEPOT WHICH DO YOU RECOMMEND. I APOLOGIZE BUT I AM NOT VERY EDUCATED ON THE CHEMICALS AND STUFF. WE ARE GONNA RETEST TONIGHT WHEN WE GET HOME AND SEE WHERE IT IS. AS FAR AS THE ALGAE YES WE HAVE SOME BUT VERY MINIMAL BUT ITY COULD ALSO BE OAK POLLEN IT IS VERY HEAVY RIGHT NOW HERE IN SOUTH TEXAS.

I DO HAVE ANOTHER GAL OF LIQUID STABILIZER AND A CASE OF LIQUID SHOCK DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE TO MUCH TO PUT IT IN AND ADD MORE SHOCK. THE ONLY THING THAT WE DIDNT DO AFTER PUTTING IN THE STABILIZER AND SHOCK WAS LET THE FILTER RUN FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS ON HIGH.BUT I HAVE DISCUSSED THIS WITH MY GF AND THE INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE FOLLOWED LOL. WHEN SHE BOUGHT THE HOUSE SHE NEVER HAD ANYBODY EDUCATE HER ON HOW TO PROPERLY MAINTAIN SHE JUST GOOGLED MOST OF IT.

I have been using TFP for the past five years. When we bought this house, we followed the previous owners' advice which included strip testing, pool "shock", and all the stuff the pool stores sell you. I learned of TFP and within one season, I was a complete "convert". I now open my pool each year with minimal use of chlorine - period - end of story! The point of my post is you have found the absolute perfect place for guidance, assistance, and the best resources out there. But, you MUST follow all the steps as set out by these experts. Yep - ya really need to buy the proper test kits as recommended. As I've learned, a trite amount of money that in the long run will literally save you thousands of dollars. These folks know exactly what they're talking about. Listen, learn, and follow the advice and don't be afraid to ask questions. It may be frustrating at first, but well worth the effort! Swim on!

Do not add any more stabilizer at this time.
I suspect the powdered shock is cal hypo and in Texas you do not want to use that as your water is typically high in calcium (hard water).
The test strips are what we call guess strips. They are worthless.
With algae you will need to follow the SLAM Process. First you need a test kit. See Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF100 with Taylor K1766 salt test and SmartStir, or just get the TFProSalt. It has it all. See TFTestkits.net.

For now, add one gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to the pool each day until you get your test kit. Be sure to run the pumps, brush, and clean the filter system when the pressure rises by 25% over the clean filter pressure.

Be sure to read the links I have been posting.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.