Hello from Pittsburgh

May 26, 2012
14
0
#1
Hi all, I'm Dan. It's my second year maintaining a 21' Round AGP , ~10,400 gal. When i opened it this year, I thought I was in good shape, put realized that my pool wouldn't hold FC. After about $200 in pool chemicals and no improvement, I decided to change to BBB method. I received my TF100 test kit this evening and here are my vitals:
.5 ppm FC
.5 ppm CC
1 ppm TC
110 TA
40ppm CYA

Since water is not clear, (slighty cloudy...kind of green tinge) I figured it needed shocked. My question is: per shocking directions, it says to reapply chlorine to pool as often as practical...not more than once an hour...not less than twice daily. About a half hour after adding bleach, level had dropped to about 5ppm. Should bleach be added every hour that i can to raise back to shock level, or is a few times daily sufficient?
 

Leebo

Admin
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jul 21, 2011
7,818
8
Eastern Ohio
#3
Hey....Pittsburgh.....You're about the forth one from the 'burgh on here. I'm just south of Steubenville myself.

As for your tests....
You really don't look that bad off on numbers. I would bring it up to shock as you stated with a level of 15 or so. If your tests are correct, then burning off .5CC's shouldn't take long. Get it now, before your water turns into a HUGE mess!
 
May 26, 2012
14
0
#4
Unfortunately the numbers are getting worse... after adding bleach to get to shock level twice (in 2 hrs)
3 ppm FC
6ppm CC
 

Leebo

Admin
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jul 21, 2011
7,818
8
Eastern Ohio
#5
That sounds much more what I was expecting....

Sad to say, you've had algae in your pool. Keep shocking and the CC's will go away. It's going to use a TON of chlorine, but once done it's a snap.

Just wondering......did you cover the pool this winter?