Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello everyone,
We are about to start our jorney to being pool owners. Neither my wife or I have ever owned a pool before (or even lived in a house with a pool), so we're both excited and a tad nervous. We're scheduled to get a 12k gallon fiberglass pool with a tanning/toddler ledge installed. SWG (IC20) along with Pentair Easy Touch control system, 1HP pump and sand filter. Pool is made by Tallman Pools (they're not too far from us) and it seems like a few people on this site have used them before.

We're currently in the hurry up and wait stage. Apparently right now is a very popular time to be building a pool.

I'm glad that I found this site and community. There's a ton of good information here and a bunch of helpful people. Looking forward to being part of it going forward.

-Scott

Welcome to the forum!
Two things I would suggest you change now -- get an IC40 SWCG (your IC20 is pretty small for a 12K gallon pool) and get an Intelliflo VS pump instead of the single speed. You will save lots on electricity and you will be amazed how quiet it is.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Two things I would suggest you change now -- get an IC40 SWCG (your IC20 is pretty small for a 12K gallon pool) and get an Intelliflo VS pump instead of the single speed. You will save lots on electricity and you will be amazed how quiet it is.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't thought about the IC40, but I'll ask. From talking to the PB, the VS pump is another $700 (which seemed kinda high). Am I going to be really sorry not getting the VS pump? (equipment will be about 40' away from the pool.

We're also debating a robot cleaner (although with the fiberglass and the fact that i don't have any trees near it, I'm debating how necessary it is). I plan to buy the TF-100 test kit as we get closer.

The VS pump will use about 200watts per hour when running, so for 8 hours lets call it 1.6kW per day.
The 1 hp single speed will use about 1000 watts per hour, so for 8 hours lets call it 8 kW per day.

I do not know your electrical cost, but lets call it $0.15/kW. So the VS pump will cost 25cents per day and the SS pump $1.25 per day.

So it will take a couple years to break even on the $700 extra.

Also, do realize that when you need to replace the single speed pump, in the next few years, you will be replacing it with a Variable Speed pump, as there is a Federal Regulation that starts next year requiring pool pumps of 1 hp or larger to be variable speed.

I think you will not regret getting the VS pump.

The VS pump will use about 200watts per hour when running, so for 8 hours lets call it 1.6kW per day.
The 1 hp single speed will use about 1000 watts per hour, so for 8 hours lets call it 8 kW per day.

I do not know your electrical cost, but lets call it $0.15/kW. So the VS pump will cost 25cents per day and the SS pump $1.25 per day.

So it will take a couple years to break even on the $700 extra.

Also, do realize that when you need to replace the single speed pump, in the next few years, you will be replacing it with a Variable Speed pump, as there is a Federal Regulation that starts next year requiring pool pumps of 1 hp or larger to be variable speed.

I think you will not regret getting the VS pump.
Sounds fair. Thanks for the breakdown. I agree completely, either way, I'm going to definitely get a VS pump down the road (even without the regulation).