Hello from Lafayette, LA

whit59

Apr 20, 2017
Lafayette/Louisiana
Just bought a 40 year old house in well established neighborhood. The house has an in-ground pool, installed in 2005 that calculates to about 15,000 gallons. This is the first time that I have owned a pool and decided that I would try my hand at maintaining it. So, a couple of quick questions:

1. What is the "right" amount of time that the primary pool pump should run on a daily basis?
  2. The pool is equipped with a track-mounted cover. Will it be easier to maintain the pool water if I cover it after each use?
  3. When adding liquid chlorine (bleach) to the water, should I pour it in a skimmer, or pour evenly around the perimeter of the surface?
  4. Other than pH readings below 7.2 (acidic), are any of the other water quality measurements that must be within a certain range in order for the water to be safe to swim in?

Regards,
whit59

Hello Whit59 and welcome to TFP! :wave: About your questions:
1. We run the pump just long enough to circulate chemicals and help with surface debris to the skimmer. More here: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
2. It should. FC usage from the sun should slow dramatically, and the cover should help keep dirt/debris from getting to the water.
3. Never pour into the skimmer. We typically pour bleach slowly at the return jet(s). More here for each chemical: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Absolutely. Everything can be found on the TFP Pool School - Recommended Levels page.
Great to have you with us.