Hello from KC! SLAM - first time

Jul 21, 2020
Kansas city
New pool and 1st time owner. 17 x 34, white plaster, intelliflo pump, 30" Triton Fast sand filter, IC40, Intellichem, UVo3 System, auto cover, TFT 100 kit.
This is my first season! Do not like the ORP sensors FC levels hard to maintain with SWG! On my 4th day of SLAM after light green water and cloudy after rain. I have read ABCs, SLAM and learning LOTS!
FC 31 (SLAM)
CC 1 (started at 0 and now climbing?)
CYA 80
CH 425
TA 100 (was 140 on 7/21)
PH 7.3 (Intellichem) haven't dble ck but prior to slam 7.5
STILL cloudy....I added DE after backwash but now see I should have waited? It did help to clear some though? I've been scrubbing and vacuuming daily, this am found growth in skimmer door removed the foam. Water color looks correct now but thought cloudiness would be done by now? and was surprised CC was 0 and now it's 1? Haven't even tried to clear OCLT since water is still cloudy. Am I missing anything?

POP. Pool Owner Patience. 😀
I believe CC is what is left after chlorine does it’s job that hasn’t been burned off by UV rays. So a good thing in this case.
TF100 PH test not valid with FC >10.
Shut SWG off during slam.
Not sure about ORP stuff.
Keep on keeping on! Take pictures, helps you see the improvement. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: lildiscoveries
Welcome! :wave:

full

POP. Pool Owner Patience. 😀
I believe CC is what is left after chlorine does it’s job that hasn’t been burned off by UV rays. So a good thing in this case.
TF100 PH test not valid with FC >10.
Shut SWG off during slam.
Not sure about ORP stuff.
Keep on keeping on! Take pictures, helps you see the improvement. 😀

Hubby said this am "you wanna call service" I was like...no thanks..I'm good! I know I'm making progress but POP is sooo hard..darn it!
TWO questions:
1) Can we still swim in semi cloudy water if FC isn't above the SLAM of 31 with CYA 80?
2) ...AND before water got cloudy I notice tan discoloring on wall around steps and by swim lane on sun deck..these are areas where water doesn't circulate as well. It won't scrub off can't get a good picture but they are 3 feet by 3 feet areas. How can I figure out what it is to remove it? Research says maybe dirt scale or metals?

ok gang! Thanks so much for the encouragement! I had shut off SWG on SLAM start but did not know UVo3 needed to be off too..I will ensure it's off. Hoping on 6th day I will be considering the OCTL. Pool IS clearing more every day. One more question...in trying to understand bather load, I have a 24lb dog that loves to swim so what things do I need to keep an eye on to maintain better levels?

The auto cover complicates your pool chemistry management. You have to decide do you maintain a higher FC so when you open your cover, the FC does not fall below minimum because if you keep your SWCG set to maintain a target range FC, it will not keep up on those days you open the cover. Or, do you remember to turn up the SWCG before and during the cover being opened.

The UV thing helps if you leave the cover closed for long periods, but hurts your management of FC when you open the cover to swim often.

Yes the auto cover does complicate my system! At first the cover was always shut, then I was trying to leave it open more and it still didn't help me to maintain the ORP levels on intellichem. The PH sensor works great and keeps muriatic acid levels stable. I read where I can dose hourly for SWG, can you point me in a better direction for SWG management? The ORP sensor with auto cover doesn't work at all so I need an alternative way to keep my levels stable.

The good news my SLAM is complete (thank you so much gang :D)! I also did an ascorbic acid test on tan stains and it removed them so it's some type of metal? My issue now is the stains are concentrated in certain areas but the stains are growing in other areas over my entire pool. This seems like a loosing game unless I can neutralize them so they can't adhere to my WHITE plaster..ugh! Any proven protocols on this issue is appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.