chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello everyone. I am a new pool owner, we bought our house last season. The first season was a struggle at the end with our alkaline levels getting too high. I did daily strip tests and weekly tests at the pool store. Followed there recommendations with the chemicals but still ended up needed to do large water changes. This year we are going to go with SWG(thinking IC60) and possibly UV and automation. We have three pumps on our pool all single speed. One for the filter, one for the for slide, and one for the pool cleaner. Was thinking about switching to a VS pump for the filter. I really enjoy these forums and thankful I get to jump in the mix now. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: TA is notoriously high in your area. Consistent ant use of muriatic acid will eventually bring it down. But testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit is a must. Test strips and pool store testing or advice will have you chasing your tail. Stick around and we'll show you how. Enjoy the weekend.

Reactions: GeorgeChicago
Thanks for the welcomes Yippee and Texas. Garrett's Popcorn seems to be a favorite of people passing thru Chicago but it just seems like its normal popcorn to me personally. I will pick up some new testing equipment. With this pool turning to salt, do you have a preference on what kit is the best? Thanks!

Hey everyone, figured I would post an update. I had the IC 60 SWG installed. Pool was opened on May 28th. Took for the first water test as requested by the pool company who opened it. The results showed high ammonia and my CYA was low, they wanted me to use 61 lbs of shock and retest. Should I follow this recommendation or try LC?

Last season my CYA hit over a 100 at the end of the season. I did drain 50% water before the pool opening. I watched the great FC/CYA on youtube. I should of ordered the testing kit earlier, ordering it today. Should I get the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit since it will be turning to salt water once my pool is balanced.

Want to get this pool ready before fathers day, having family over. Thanks everyone.

You want liquid chlorine and the TF-100. Link is in my signature below.

As for potential ammonia (If it is), you'll need lots of liquid chlorine and to do the following:
1. (No CYA yet) - Increase the FC to 10 with liquid chlorine and test again in 10 minutes. If it fell below 5 ppm, add chlorine right away back to 10 ppm and test again in another 10 minutes. Repeat this process until the FC shows clear signs of holding around 6-10 ppm.
2. Once the FC begins to hold, then add some stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30 and increase the FC to 12 and continue with the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

Where would be the best place to get that much liquid chlorine, not looking for the cheapest. Thanks for your time helping me with this! With the Tf-100 what addons should I grab , I see you have the speed stir. Ph meter, salt strips, salt test, XL options, and standard sampler. Have an awesome day!

For many, the TF-100 with XL option is a good thing to have. Also the magnetic speedstir/speed stick is a fabulous product to help you with mixing. Salk pool owners often rely on the Taylor K-1766 drop test for salt testing. But that's about it right now.

As for chlorine, each town/city varies. Everyone seems to be struggling with stocks. Remember that regular laundry bleach is the same as liquid pool chlorine only a less % strength. If you do get bleach, never get Clorox and nothing t hat says splashless or scented.

Thanks for the info on the tester kit I ordered as you said. Using the pool calculator it shows only adding 1.4 gallons on LC. I am headed to my local store where they have some LC in stock 10%. I am reading about the slamm process. My question is what other pool materials should I grab from my hardware store. Muratic acid, baking soda, stabilizer? Thanks again!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My question is what other pool materials should I grab from my hardware store. Muratic acid, baking soda, stabilizer? Thanks again!
Pools almost always use some muriatic acid through the season, and of course liquid chlorine unless it's a salt pool, so you can't go wrong with those two. Other than that let's wait to see what your TF-100 test results show. :goodjob:

I've been trying to get the pool cleaned up while waiting for the test kit. Our Polaris water bot has not been doing a great job cleaning all the debris and sand/small particles in the pool. It just wants to get tangled up. I did leave it in the sun stretched out while not using it to help with the memory of the hose. I think I am going to buy an electric robot and a vacuum so I can target areas better. Any recommendations? I was eyeing a Dolphin m200/m600 and a Polaris both with bluetooth.

Talked to a gentleman from Marina pools and ordered the Active 60 Robot same as the m600. Test kit should come today too. Getting excited. Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: Texas Splash