Hello from Gilbert AZ

Montu

Mar 7, 2016
Gilbert AZ
Hello,

I grew up with a vinyl pool in Northern CA, however I just did whatever my dad told me to do..which most of the time kept the water decent looking but I didn't understand what was going on. Fast forward to adulthood and now I just re located to AZ into a new build (Both house and pool) I've added the pool specs to my signature.

Luckily I found this site, my new pool has been up and running for a few months now without trouble however I wanted to better understand the chemistry so I started lurking here. Luckily I read about the CYA build up that happens with trichlor and was able to just use the pucks until yesterday, when I tested the CYA at 40 and switched to liquid chlorine.

I do still have one question though: My pool came with a quick pure 3 Ozone, I know people on this site are not a fan, however seeing as it is there already I was wondering how this should affect my target chlorine levels? Should I just ignore it and leave any sanitation it performs as a safety net or should I take advantage and run slightly less chlorine?

Thanks!

When I do my next filter tear down, in a few weeks, I'm going to disconnect it just so it's not drawing extra power. I've already choked off the tubing, and I ordered a replacement plug for the pump hole that the tubing runs to.

If it's really new, you might be able to sell it to a spa owner.

I was thinking that, or keep as a spare for the one in my Spa... It's only been used for 3 months.

I read somewhere it is good at killing Giardia and a few other things in the water, I'm not sure if this is worth keeping it for (not sure how much would end up in water on it's own) but if it's true I might be interested to keep the dogs safe. (Understanding it has no residual, but the pool is running 24x7)

One more thing, I also have a stand alone Spa, I don't see too much information on Spa specific care...am I missing a post/article or should I just apply the same rules taking temperature into account?

Reactions: spoonman
Thanks!

That's useful, I'm going to keep using the Chlorinating Granules I have for now, then it will probably be time to drain and refill anyway..it will be nice only using liquid chlorine / bleach for both pool and Spa instead of stocking different forms of chlorine for each.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support