Hello from frigid Massachusetts

Hi all.

I've had pools in the South for years, but relatively new to owning one in the Northeast.

I posted a question a few weeks back, with no replies, so re-posting below

Hoping someone might chime in here...many thanks, this seems to be a great resource of knowledge!

QUESTION:

I have an older pool that has an attached spa (originally built in early 1980s...new plumbing in 2013).

I had the pool company close the pool that did the re-plumb and renovation.

When they closed the spa, they simply blew air through the line and closed the valve to create an airlock (like one closes the main drain in the pool).

My question is, since the spa is very easy to completely drain and simply close in the floor drain itself with a plug, why take this risk? It would seem to me the spa (hardly being below ground level) could freeze entirely and if the air lock/seal breaks theres a serious problem.

Apparently the pool company warrants the lines if they break in winter, put the risk is huge: breaking up a brand new poured concrete deck for one.

Would appreciate thoughts on this, as it would be easy to rectify now before a deep freeze settles in.

Many thanks.

If it were me, I'd fully drain the spa, depending on the size. If it's less than 1000 gallons, I'd drain and blow out the lines and plug the drain(s), if it's easily plugged. That would be the safe, but more labor intensive part depending on how hard it is to plug the drain. If you did it this way, you might even be able to add some RV antifreeze to the spa drain line for added security, depending on your plumbing configuration.