CJ-O

Dec 4, 2021
Lockhart, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy everybody! Just realized I need to be here. A little late to the party as I’m currently watering Gunite for the 5th day on our racetrack shaped deep pool shell. Hoping to learn from everyone here and avoid some pitfalls. Also need some good strong arguments for going saltwater to convince my wife it’s worth it despite having a pricey chlorinator already plumbed and in-line with the other equipment.

Do you have any automation system for your pool? That may drive which type of SWCG would be recommended.
If possible, it is always helpful to post a picture of your pool and equipment pad.
welcome to the world of pool ownership.

Wow! Thanks for all the advice so quickly. I’ll definitely utilize the pool chemistry guide before the fill, which might be a while since getting tile scheduled is pretty tough in December. Attached are a couple pics of the equipment pad. Electricians have yet to come out, but supposed to get to it sometime during the watering week. I’m thinking tomorrow or the day after. I know there’s a Jandy Aqualink mobile pump interface, but I’m not sure if it is capable of controlling anything but the pumps. There’s going to be an ozone generator somewhere in the system, but I don’t have it in the pallet of equipment My contractor has me keeping in the garage. I’ll try and dig through the contract for any automation devices.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 45A12753-4E0A-4922-881E-6AB1D05FB6F8.jpeg
    45A12753-4E0A-4922-881E-6AB1D05FB6F8.jpeg
    754 KB · Views: 7
  • 676FE5FE-F29C-47DD-8DFB-1788A94FC185.jpeg
    676FE5FE-F29C-47DD-8DFB-1788A94FC185.jpeg
    731.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: HermanTX
Thank you for confirmation on the Ozone generators. I knew something didn’t sound right about it. My builder said it could help reduce chlorine usage and allow a noticeably lower concentration of free chlorine. The area has zero leaves and the amount of overall debris is gonna be minimal. So I won’t be running the pump or pool vacuum in excess and turning over the pool water more than once every 24 hours. I doubt the ozone could be a benefit at all.
As for the chlorinator, my strategy is more of a Cold War instead of a bloody battle with my wife. She is dead set against SW. she has a memory of swimming in slimy water and thinks I’ll just be fighting an uphill battle to keep the chemistry on point and end up with a green slimy pond. I’m gonna go along with the Tablet Gas injection contraption for a season, and then plan my strategy once everyone is comfortable with the pool. My experience with salt water chlorinated pool water has been positive and delightful. What I really need is the right arguments (non anecdotal) for conversion to SW down the road

Great. Do not use the mineral package in the Nature2. Also find a good source of liquid chlorine. You will be adding it daily starting in April/May.

Hey CJ and welcome !!
What I really need is the right arguments (non anecdotal) for conversion to SW down the road
Cost wise it’s a wash around 15k gallons. SWGs are pricey to get into and over 15k they start to create a savings. My 35k build for example will pay me back over 2X barring equipment failure or a lightning strike.

But close to the break even point, I simply cannot overstate the convenience of ‘making chlorine’ appear in my pool by walking out back and pressing a button. To gain 3ppm of FC you’ll need about a half gallon of liquid chorine (bleach). Per day. Sure you can double dose a full gallon every other day, but lugging those jugs will get old QUICK. Many had problems locating enough supply the last 2 years at times also, causing further headaches.

Every aspect of the water feels nicer with ‘salt’ for most, but it’s nothing like the ocean. It’s about 10% of the salinity and you can barely taste it. The ocean on the other hand tastes like Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup. Many of the ‘non salt’ chems you’ll add are salt based. Bleach for example is Sodium Hyperchlorite. Over time your salt level will climb, usually sitting between 3% and 5% of seawater, but many have gotten close to or actual SWG levels without them.

TFP doesn’t outright pick salt as the clear winner as liquid chlorine works plenty well, but an overwhelming majority of the experts and pros here have it in their own pools, many for years and years. The more recent converts are thrilled so far, like @Texas Splash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I converted to salt last year after about 7 years of jug-dumping. Like a pet, pools need to be fed (chlorine) every day except in the winter when we can space-out the chlorine additions a bit more. SWGs sure make water management more convenient, and the water feels a bit softer to me. The cost of chlorine and/or regular bleach got out of hand starting last year, so I think I timed my conversion just right.

Reactions: Newdude
Yes, I converted to salt last year after about 7 years of jug-dumping. Like a pet, pools need to be fed (chlorine) every day except in the winter when we can space-out the chlorine additions a bit more. SWGs sure make water management more convenient, and the water feels a bit softer to me. The cost of chlorine and/or regular bleach got out of hand starting last year, so I think I timed my conversion just right.
I would add to the above that you still may need to have liquid chlorine available during the winter because SWCG's do not operate below a certain temperature i.e. 55 deg F (varies by mfg of SWCG). Because you are south of Austin, TX you may not have many weeks below that minimum temperature but just want you to be aware that you may still have to have some manual dosing.
I monitor my pool temperature for past 12-18 months to think through when my SWCG (coming in the future) will be operational vs. manual dosing. Regardless, as @Texas Splash states, it will be a lot less than doing it daily in the summer and every couple of days in the winter.

*also worth noting, no matter which way you choose we will guide you to the easiest pool care with stupid great results. You’ve landed in an AWESOME resource and we got you now. Scroll and scroll through the thread here, just a bunch of regular folks who’ll help you join the club. :)

I appreciate all the advice. I'm trying to get my bearings with all of it and the equipment that was more of an afterthought when my wife and I were working with the builder to finalize the design. I always wanted a pool, but never was strongly driven to make it happen like my wife was. When it actually came time to make my requests regarding the pool, I was more concerned with the depth and coping material. I assumed the chlorination and pump systems were pretty standardized and the differences had more to do with durability and noise. I at one point during one of our meetings asked about Salt water and before our builder and I could discuss it my wife just belts out "oh God no! that's gross!" and I think the builder thought I was just wanting to have salt for softness, not sanitation.
So the gear we got is on the ground, I cannot have it changed without meddling with a force of nature that could make life unpleasant to say the least. This is one of the few areas of the relationship where I must concede unfortunately and just work on a future strategy that achieves the desired goal of a SWCG (eventually), while avoiding damage or unpleasant swimming.
I will be able to cancel the Ozone generator and get a small chunk of the budget reallocated to all the landscaping and turf we will be restoring. So that's nice..