Hello from Arizona

Copernicu

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi everyone!

I've been a pool owner for many years. It's a fiberglass pool with a sand filter.

For years, my maintenance program has been pretty simple. I run the pool at night on a time, and I use a Hayward cleaner. Once a week or so, I brush the walls and backwash the filter. As far as chemicals, it's been almost exclusively chlorine tabs, plus chlorine granule "shock" treatments when the water has gotten green. For the last several years, I've been buying new parts for the Hayward each year. This year, I decided to get a new one rather than continue to spend money on the old one (the new one is the Phoenix/Aquanaut 4 wheel cleaner).

Summers get really hot here in Phoenix, so I usually have to "shock" a few times during the summer. During the winter, maintenance is a breeze. I can "forget" to do maintenance for several weeks, and the water looks fine.

Recently, I've had more problems with the pool. After spending a lot of money at the pool store, I decided to get online and educate myself about water chemistry.

I am so glad I found this site. What a great resource, and such a generous community. I've learned a lot in the last few hours, and have much, much more to learn.

Welcome to TFP! :)
For the experts to better help, you will need your own test kit. Pool stores and guess strips are far too unreliable for them to give balancing recommendations. My preference is the TF100 with speed stir but the Taylor K2006C is a close second. See links in my signature.
Please add your pool information into your signature, it helps the experts help you and saves you adding the information to every post. grin wink Settings/Signature.
Peruse through Pool School, I suggest starting with ABC's of Pool water chemistry
Good Luck! :)