Hello From A Newbie/Getting Started

parkinsmith

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2021
Clifton Texas, Lake Whitney
Hi All
What a GREAT resource . So thankful TFP exists! My husband and I are about to be first time pool owners ( dig date July 19th, 2021). We live in Clifton Texas at Lake Whitney. He has put me in charge of the project, I have finalized the design and I am now at the stage of picking plaster , decking, coping and all other items. I am finding so much great info here and no doubt will be posting questions in the appropriate threads. Here is a pic of the design, going for a modern, contemporary look with a plaster that can give it a beautiful blue hue with sparkle. The specs Pool Dimensions: 16’ x 35’ , Pool Perimeter: 93’, Pool Depth: 3.5’x 6’, 850 sq ft of decking. Added a heat/cool pump, second pool light, looking at upgrading the basic Stonescape to include glass beads an abalone, smooth bright white precast stone coping. Not sure what to do about tile love the glass tile look but not sure how well that will hold up, leaning twords a broom concrete decking but up in the air. This is where I am at. Would be very grateful for any getting started advice and feeback!

Attachments

• POOL Design.jpg
    POOL Design.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 2
Welcome fellow Texan. You have definitely found a great resource to assist you with pool ownership.
Your pool design is awesome. Very unique.

There are lots of variations of plaster types, waterline tiles, etc. that people have used. It is best to search for others who are doing new construction and you can see their choices to help you. In addition, there are some other basic decisions you need to define upfront. One main point will be how you plan to chlorinate your pool. Will you make it a saltwater pool using a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) or do you plan to manually dose the pool with liquid chlorine? That decision will drive some equipment choices. Also, do you wish to have automation and if so, what do you want. Since you do not have a spa and mainly will turn items (lights, heat pump) on or off then you will not need anything too fancy.

Be careful with adding abalone shells as some people of found they leach after some time and cause dark spots in your pool plaster. Sometimes that can easily fixed depending on the plaster type.

Suggest you read the following
Pool Care Basics Archives - Trouble Free Pool | Trouble Free Pool
How to Pick a Pool Builder

How to Pick a Pool Builder - Trouble Free Pool

How to Select Pool Equipment

How to select pool equipment - Further Reading

Construction Tips & Best Practices

Construction Best Practices - Further Reading

Thank you for all the amazing advice ! I have made a few choices , decided to go with salt water system, still stuck on plaster colors and what to do about the tile ( glass or regular ). Did add a second pool light. I am moving along but slowly , so much to learn. Dig date is July 19th. I will post some info about some of the equipment that the contractor is planning on using in the coming days and hope to get some feedback form the TFP community on that.
Welcome fellow Texan. You have definitely found a great resource to assist you with pool ownership.
Your pool design is awesome. Very unique.

There are lots of variations of plaster types, waterline tiles, etc. that people have used. It is best to search for others who are doing new construction and you can see their choices to help you. In addition, there are some other basic decisions you need to define upfront. One main point will be how you plan to chlorinate your pool. Will you make it a saltwater pool using a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) or do you plan to manually dose the pool with liquid chlorine? That decision will drive some equipment choices. Also, do you wish to have automation and if so, what do you want. Since you do not have a spa and mainly will turn items (lights, heat pump) on or off then you will not need anything too fancy.

Be careful with adding abalone shells as some people of found they leach after some time and cause dark spots in your pool plaster. Sometimes that can easily fixed depending on the plaster type.

Suggest you read the following
Pool Care Basics Archives - Trouble Free Pool | Trouble Free Pool
How to Pick a Pool Builder

How to Pick a Pool Builder - Trouble Free Pool

How to Select Pool Equipment

How to select pool equipment - Further Reading

Construction Tips & Best Practices

Construction Best Practices - Further Re

I have brushed concrete deck and I have to admit it hurts to walk on. Maybe I have tender feet, I dunno? I wish I'd have had a salt thrown smoother cement instead.

Maddie :flower:
Thanks for the info , had not even thought about that ! I am still going back and forth between the salt and brushed along with a million other decisions I need to make LOL