PoolintheDesert

Sep 18, 2020
Las Cruces NM
Hello from the Land of Enchantment (Entrapment), New Mexico. We’re getting close to the end of our 2nd summer of pool enjoyment. I don’t have any major pool issues at the moment, but I’m always interested in knowing more about water care and maintenance. We have a 10k gallon plaster pool, finished and filled in Feb 2019. I installed solar pool heat panels last fall and we were able to use it by mid-March this year. Hoping to keep it warm enough to enjoy until the end of October. We use a solar pool cover at night. We live in an area where the wind seems to blow all the time! My biggest challenge is blowing dust and leaves from my neighbors scrubby trees and Mexican willows. Living in southern NM, we love our pool! It’s our first one and I’m still learning all the ins and outs of cleaning and maintenance. Looking forward to sharing ideas with other desert pool owners!

I wanna see pictures of a desert pool!
Me too! Welcome to TFP. I get dust here in desert AZ but probably not nearly as much as you.

As mentioned a robot will really help, as will a skimmer pole with a good net on it. Lastly I'd recommend a hairnet for your skimmer basket.

Enjoy!

Hello from the Land of Enchantment (Entrapment), New Mexico. We’re getting close to the end of our 2nd summer of pool enjoyment. I don’t have any major pool issues at the moment, but I’m always interested in knowing more about water care and maintenance. We have a 10k gallon plaster pool, finished and filled in Feb 2019. I installed solar pool heat panels last fall and we were able to use it by mid-March this year. Hoping to keep it warm enough to enjoy until the end of October. We use a solar pool cover at night. We live in an area where the wind seems to blow all the time! My biggest challenge is blowing dust and leaves from my neighbors scrubby trees and Mexican willows. Living in southern NM, we love our pool! It’s our first one and I’m still learning all the ins and outs of cleaning and maintenance. Looking forward to sharing ideas with other desert pool owners!
Howdy! What temperature have you been able to keep the pool with solar? Fellow southern New Mexican here as well--north of Dona Ana here. We haven't built yet but are in the process of working with a builder to figure out details. We are hoping to enclose our pool to use it year round.