neovox

Mar 22, 2021
Detroit
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First year AGP owner here. Been following the TFP method all season with mostly success. Earlier this week we had two consecutive days of heavy rain. The day following the storm, I pulled the solar cover to find a significant amount of leaf debris in the pool. I scooped it all out and brushed everything down, but still the next day found some spots of algae on the pool floor. I brushed them all out and made sure the chlorine was good. Next day algae was back in spots on the bottom and the water was a bit cloudy. Today I brought the chlorine up to slam level. This is the second time this season this has happened following significant rainfall. Are there any preventive measures I can take?

Thanks.

18' Doughboy Round AGP
About 7500 Gal.
Sand Filter

Welcome to the forum!
Your Poolmath logs (thank you!) show some low FC levels when you test. Below minimum for the 50 ppm CYA your test log shows. Then when it rains, the surface water has little or no chlorine in it unless you are running your pump during the rain. So it is best to keep your FC at or above target level for your CYA. Also, above ground pools need to be brushed or swam in every other day at least or the poor circulation in them will result in algae.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Your Poolmath logs (thank you!) show some low FC levels when you test. Below minimum for the 50 ppm CYA your test log shows. Then when it rains, the surface water has little or no chlorine in it unless you are running your pump during the rain. So it is best to keep your FC at or above target level for your CYA. Also, above ground pools need to be brushed or swam in every other day at least or the poor circulation in them will result in algae.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks. At the start of the season I was only running the filter for about 10hrs a day and turning it off at night. After my first algae bout, I started leaving run 24x7 to keep things circulating. My most recent CYA reading is probably the most accurate. I didn't realize until then that it's supposed to be read at waist level, and at a consistent level each time. I see now that my minimum level should be around 4ppm. I had been thinking 2ppm from earlier in the year when I had less CYA in the mix. I'll SLAM it out and keep the levels up higher. Thanks for the info.

One more question. Does it matter if I keep the solar cover on or off during the SLAM process?

One more question. Does it matter if I keep the solar cover on or off during the SLAM process?
You can leave it on, but do need to take it off for a few hours every other day at least to let the CC burn off with sun on the pool surface. Hopefully you swim in the pool at least that often.

Reactions: neovox
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.