Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Moved from HERE

Good to read this older thread and piggybacking off it.
We have had and continue to have heavy rains here in Austin and my SWG reads 2600 and the lights for "check salt" and "inspect cell" are orange and red, respectively. Now I wonder, if I should add salt now or whether I should wait? If I should add salt, how much would you guys add and is there a specific protocol to follow in this case?

Pool stats:
SWG
Plaster
Spa and Pool combo

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to read this older thread and piggybacking off it.
We have had and continue to have heavy rains here in Austin and my SWG reads 2600 and the lights for "check salt" and "inspect cell" are orange and red, respectively. Now I wonder, if I should add salt now or whether I should wait? If I should add salt, how much would you guys add and is there a specific protocol to follow in this case?

Pool stats:
SWG
Plaster
Spa and Pool combo

Do not add anything until the rain stops. There is likely a layer of rain water sitting on top of the pool water. The rain should stop and you should brush and vacuum your pool to help mix it all up. If the SWG is not producing chlorine then use liquid chlorine until the rain subsides.

Do you use the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit to verify your NaCl ppm?
Pool Math will estimate addition amounts to reach a target.
Matt makes a good point, your SWG may be pulling water only from the surface / skimmer layer.

I just realized I upvoted a post from 2014. :hammer:

Do you use the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit to verify your NaCl ppm?
Pool Math will estimate addition amounts to reach a target.
Matt makes a good point, your SWG may be pulling water only from the surface / skimmer layer.

I just realized I upvoted a post from 2014. :hammer:
Yes, I do and test and SWG reads are pretty much in a similar range. Due to the rains we had for several weeks now, I haven't really tested the pool. Was planning to do it this week and then see how things look before adding anything.

I live in Austin as well and have my salinity to 3100 ppm. It doesn’t seem to have dropped much from all the rain as of yet. Have you tested what your chlorine levels are using a TFP testing kit? Also have you tested salinity using the K-1766 kit? I agree with the post above, don’t add salt until after the rain subsides and definitely not until you’ve tested your water.

While your pump is running, do you know if chlorine is being produced from your SWCG? The water should be getting mixed in while the pump is running, I’d assume.

Reactions: suATX
Definitely confirm your salt level with the Taylor K1766 test kit. A salt level error on a SWG can happen when the cell needs to be cleaned, so don't trust what it's saying until you confirm with the taylor test kit. Then go from there.

Reactions: suATX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.