Heavy Iron staining

ssusca

Jun 17, 2010
Southington, CT
I was dealing with some metal staining in my vinyl lined in ground pool recently. I performed an AA treatment according to the directions found in Pool School. I added some polyquat 60 before taking the pH down to 0. However the pool got cloudy during this time. I did the AA treatment anyway and the stain went away (this was my second AA treatment in 3 weeks because the stains came back after the first one). I then added a sequestrant and started bringing the FC back up while keeping the pH around 7. The pH simply would not come back up this time and the pool remained slightly cloudy. I could not get the FC up over 0.5. After about 8 days I noticed that the stains were returning. I decided to punt because I wanted to swim. I SLAMed the pool to try to clear up the water. It took a lot of chlorine to get the chlorine to hold. When I woke up this morning, the entire pool was green. A closer look showed that the water was clear. My test results were:

FC – 13.5

pH – 7.4

Alk – 70

CYA – 50

It seems that the entire pool liner is now extremely heavily stained with iron. At this point I have no idea what to do. I don’t want to do another AA treatment because the stains keep coming back and worse than before. (plus I don’t want to take the FC down to 0 again, I want to swim!) What can I do to get rid of the staining? Will Metal Magic work? Where can I find it?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
It sounds as though the iron level in your water is simply too high to try and manipulate chemically by itself. You either need to replace the water with fresh non-iron water, or do a lot of filtering.

Look at this thread: