HeatPump Aquacal SQ166 with Jandy Aqualink RS

embeleco

Jun 2, 2019
Florida, USA
Hi.

I have a new pool. For some reason my AquaCal SQ166 is not coming up when using the Automation system. No matter if I press Pool or Spa Heat it won't come up. On the HeatPump display I can see the display saying "Under Remote Control". Not sure if the wiring is correct. I did open the Aqualink and I saw that the installer used pin 1 and 2 on the green terminal bar (Low Voltage Heater) to connect the AquaCal. Not sure if he used the Ext Controller Section on the AquaCal (Pin Z and Y). I haven't open the AquaCal panel yet.

My question is that the best method or using the RS485 terminal bar is better on the automation side and using Port B on AquaCal. I think that if using the RS485 the controller will be able to work with Heater and Chiller but not if using the Green Terminal Pin 1, 2.

Anyways ... any idea why it may not be starting when using the automation system. Again a new pool. PB already know about it and I think a Warranty company is coming over to check but I think it is just a wiring issue (Manual Operation works fine on the AquaCal).

TIA,
embeleco

Did the HP ever work properly since installation?

Not with the automation system. We are almost ready to take over the pool but of course they are aware of the issue. There are some items not working as it should yet.. one of them is the HP. Someone from a warranty company is coming next week to check on it but I just want to be sure how it is suppose to be connected to the Jandy Automation for better function of the HP.

Thanks ajw22.. I do have those documents.. just looking for a consensus of what is the best method.. if using the Smart Bus Controller on the iAqualink or if using the 2-wire method connecting them to the low voltage heater section of the iaqualink (Currently it is using that method even though not working) not sure why. Maybe it is not properly connected on the AquaCal HP.

I would try and get the RS-485 connection working and see how it works. It is easy to chenge the wiring to use the “firemans switch “ if there are compatibility issues with the RS-485.

Just a quick update... Temp Sensor was bad and it was replaced now I can fire up HP from the automation interface no problem. I asked the warranty crew if using the RS-485 was better or the 2-wire low voltage heater ports.. They told me not to use the RS485.. and to use the 2-wire method as that way we can protect the aqualink etc.. I think that is BS as the HP manuals mention the RS485 as the best connection... but hey it is working now at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.