Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Any info on heating a new pool that has a pebble sheen finish...specifically can we heat it right away or wait a week or ? I've read that the dust in the water can effect the heater and if the water is clear after a few days than okay to heat.

Secondly when do you use salt in a new pool....waiting period?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Welcome to the forum!
Did your pool builder provide a start up guide? Are you or the pool builder managing the start up pool water chemistry and brushing needs?
In general, you should wait 2 weeks before using your heater and 4 weeks before adding salt with a new plaster pool.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Dtkokay

Dec 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
You need to wait 30 days before adding salt. In the meantime, you’ll need to figure a way to add chlorine to the pool, whether by tablets or liquid chlorine. I did both when my pool was new. I used tablets to help raise the CYA, then I switched to liquid chlorine. Then I switched to salt after the 30 day period.

You’re also supposed to wait 30 days before turning on the heater, but I turned mine on when my pool was two weeks old because the water was crystal clear. My new pool had not dust when I brushed and was pretty clear after just a week.

Drummer boy

Sep 7, 2020
Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
You need to wait 30 days before adding salt. In the meantime, you’ll need to figure a way to add chlorine to the pool, whether by tablets or liquid chlorine. I did both when my pool was new. I used tablets to help raise the CYA, then I switched to liquid chlorine. Then I switched to salt after the 30 day period.

You’re also supposed to wait 30 days before turning on the heater, but I turned mine on when my pool was two weeks old because the water was crystal clear. My new pool had not dust when I brushed and was pretty clear after just a week.
My pool seemed crystal clear after a weeks time so I decided to heat. We’ll see how it goes. I have a pebble sheen finish. Pool is 85 degrees and just perfect.