Heaters in Southern New Mexico

ppierce2nm

Jul 18, 2018
Southern New Mexico
Good evening,

Have been lurking for quite a while here, have posted a few times but not introduced myself. My husband and I have been thinking about a pool and have gotten several quotes, but have not locked anything in yet. We are considering a CMU block fiberglass coated small pool, about 10 x 20, & 4'-5 1/2 ft deep. We are planning to add a Fastlane to this. I like to do aqua jogging & we would l like to keep the pool at 90 degrees. We are wondering what type of heater would be most cost effective for us here in southern New Mexico (about 50 miles north of El Paso). We also are planning to enclose the pool--building it into an enclosed porch--using mostly vinyl sliding glass doors. We're planning to keep the pool covered and considering just a humidistat controlled bathroom fan & a dehumidifier in the pool area to keep humidity down. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the best heating and ventilation options for this size project?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Do you have NG or propane at your house? A high BTU NG is always the best at heating a pool.

How cold does it get in the winter? Heat pumps are good at maintaining a pool temperature but lose a lot in f effectiveness in the cold.

ppierce2nm

Jul 18, 2018
Southern New Mexico
We have natural gas. It gets cold here, rarely snow, but nights get down into the 20's-30's, very rarely into the teens. Humidity is low here, we've heard conflicting things about using a heat pump in this area. One pool builder recommended against it, another didn't bat an eye at the idea. We are considering the new Pentair hybrid gas heater/heat pump or doing a combination of a gas heater & solar.